Until The Road Ends - Phil Earle

 



At the very beginning of the book, we see a stray dog rescued from being run-over.  Peggy, the girl who saved him, takes him home, persuades her family to let her keep him and then names him Beau.  And so begins a great friendship.  However, Peggy and her family live in London and World War II is just beginning.  Fearing for their children, Mr & Mrs Alford decide to send Peggy and her younger brother, Wilf, to stay with their Aunt Sylvie on the coast, away from the threat of the bombs.  There's just one problem: Beau and Wilf's cat, Mabel, have to stay behind.  Despite the instruction by the government to have all pets put to sleep, the Alfords agree to do their very best to keep Beau and Wilf safe and, in return, Poppy agrees to write regularly to Beau.  

At this stage, I'm not going to say much more as I don't want to spoil things for you, but it's safe to say that what happens, is a story of heroism and determination what will warm your heart.

I am a huge fan of Phil's work and so I was absolutely thrilled when Until The Road Ends appeared on NetGalley and, I have to say, it took me all my will power not to dive into it immediately; however, I was determined to save it until I could read it without the threat of interruption, and last night was that time. 

Set at the beginning of WWII, in London, we get to know Beau quickly as a dog that has had to survive in his own but Peggy's love soon shows him the life he can have and, for a brief while, he has that.  After Peggy has left for the safety of her aunt's, Beau is loved by Mr and Mrs Alford and he waits with anticipation to hear news from Peggy in her letters.  However, we soon see just exactly what sort of dog Beau is and the determination and resilience he possesses is highlighted on so many occasions.  Again, I don't want to spoil anything but, along with a somewhat reluctant Mabel, and Bomber the pigeon, Beau is a character you will fall in love with, you'll very quickly forget he isn't human and will be willing him on at every turn.

Phil has quickly become a writer whose books I know I'm going to enjoy before I've even read the blurb and Until The Road Ends is quite possibly his best book yet.  I read it in one sitting and was completely immersed in Beau's world.  At times, I cried; at times, I chuckled and, on several occasions, I found myself shouting at the book!  What I'm trying to say, in a way that I really don't feel is doing the book justice, is that Phil has done it again: Until The Road Ends is a simply brilliant story of love, loss, determination and friendship that will warm your heart.  Publishing on the 1st June, I absolutely urge you to pre-order it and then lock yourself away until you've finished at as you won't be able to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...