Flock Horror - Jennifer Killick


Angelo and his friends are back and, despite their greatest wishes, things are about to get scary again!  It all starts when Angelo's dad is called to help an elderly neighbour who has fallen.  Leaving Angelo and his brother with instructions to lock the door behind him, he heads out to another flat in their block.  Moments later, Angelo's brother is shouting about a monster outside the window - their flat isn't on the ground floor.  Joining his brother, Angelo hears loud tapping on the window and finds shadows and a round hole in the window when he investigates.  The following day, things get weirder with darkening skies and a bird attack on the school's wellbeing pigs, with birds seemingly arriving from the Dread Wood (some of which being incredibly blood-thirsty).  Fearing the worst, Club Loser decide that it is up to them to discover what is going on before things get too bloody.

I have been a big fan of the Dread Wood series since book 1 (you can read my reviews here: Dread Wood Fear Groundand so I was absolutely thrilled to have been invited to the launch of Flock Horror last week. Whilst catching up with Jennifer, I was also fortunate enough to get my hands on an early copy of the book.  It took me seconds after the event to dive in, deciding I was absolutely brave enough to read it alone in a hotel room - I ensured the hotel room door was locked, I curled up in bed and I went for it.

The book is creepy from the start with tapping at a flat window that isn't on the ground floor, cryptic messages being left in various places and birds that seem to gather in their hoards.  It's safe to say that the friends suspect that the Latchitts are involved somehow but they just can't figure out how.  Club Loser are clearly more concerned about the safety of everyone around them than they are about themselves; however, the group are growing ever-closer and we also get an insight into home backgrounds a little more in this book.  I have to mention Mr Canton who is one of the best teachers in fiction ever!  Cool in his uncoolness, he is always there for Angelo and his friends - I don't know how anybody could turn down his offer of hot choccie!

Jennifer is absolutely the queen of MG horror and Flock Horror is a master-class in scaring readers in the best way!  Action-packed and utterly unputdownable, this is a book full of frights, friendships and feathered predators.  Due for release on the 2nd March, I highly recommend pre-ordering Flock Horror and also book 4, Deadly Deep, which is due to set sail on the 30th August.

... and just for the record, the TV in my hotel room switched itself back on after I'd turned out the lights the night of the book launch and then a something kept banging through the night (I'm telling myself it was a door!) so I read the rest of the book the following day inside and whilst it was still daylight! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...