Dragon Mountain - Katie & Kevin Tsang (Released September)

Sometimes a book comes along and, when you first pick it up, you don't realise just how good it's going to be.  Well, for me, Dragon Mountain was one of those books.



Billy has left his family behind in the states and is reluctantly heading to China to spend the holidays at a summer camp improving his Chinese.  There are only 11 others at the camp and Billy is teamed up with Dylan, Charlotte and Ling Fei for their activities.  Things, however, quickly take a dramatic turn when they discover four dragons trapped in an ancient mountain - dragons who need their help to save the Dragon Realm from the Dragon of Death and the nox-wings. 

Whilst Billy is the main character, it's Dylan who wins me over with his touches of self-deprecating humour and wit (he kind of reminds me a little of Ron Weasley!).  And the girls: Charlotte will initially be favoured by many I suspect as she's self-confident, assertive and a dominant force; however, Ling Fei's timid and gentle persona hides a strength of character I really admire.  Then there's the dragons (how can I not mention the dragons?!), all with their own wonderful characters from the start, even before they are given their names, they have such presence and made me want one myself - Buttons without doubt was my favourite, although I also liked the relationship between Billy and Spark.

This book is just full of everything you could want: a host of great characters (both human and non-human); excitement and gripping adventure; bravery and daring; plot twists and an edge of your seat ending that will make you hungry for more!

This is an original plot and a book that will appeal to so many; with elements of myths as well as a strong theme of friendship, it will make you want to head off on your own adventure, will leave you yearning for your own dragon and will give you the most serious book hangover!  I'm counting the months until book 2 so I can find out what happens next.  Dragon Mountain is an utterly unputdownable book that will leave you craving more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...