Nic Blake and the Remarkables The Manifestor Prophecy - Angie Thomas


Nic and her father have moved around for as long as she can remember, never staying in one place for too long; you see she is a Manifestor as is her dad, and she is home-schooled by him.  All she wants to do is learn how to use the Gift but her dad keeps putting it off.  Then, when she receives news that changes her life forever, she is forced to go on the run for she has a job to do, one that could have dire consequences for her family if she fails.    

Before I go any further, I have to say that Nic Blake and the Remarkables is an utterly brilliant book and no matter what I write, I'm not convinced I will do it justice, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

From the start, you are drawn into Nic's life and both the world building & the characterisation that Angie creates are incredible.  

Between the world we know (the world of the Unremarkables) and the world of the Remarkables (Uhuru), Angie seamlessly depicts places that are both incredible and believable; a place that is both real and fantasy; a place where you can immerse yourself and get lost as well as find yourself, and I found myself immersed in both. 

Nic is a fiercely determined character and one who is reeling with new information that has shocked her and changed everything she thought she knew; however, she has to put all of this to one side to do what she believes is best.  Despite the injustice she feels, she needs to put her feelings to one side in order to do what she thinks is best.  Her character shines brightly throughout this book (both in her bravery but also in how real she is: she isn't immune to feeling jealous and angry at times) and readers will delight in being able to see themselves; she is real, relatable and a character readers will enjoy getting to know. 

The book is an absolute rollercoaster of adventure which will leave you breathless.  The twists feel like they just keep on coming and mean that it is utterly unputdownable.  Incorporating modern issues with mythology, adding in magic and curses as well as a host of interesting creatures, Nic Blake and the Remarkables is a an utter triumph of a book and I know that it is going to be a huge hit.  It will be heading into school with me on Monday and I can guarantee that there will be a stampede for it. 

Released on the 4th April, Nic Blake and the Remarkables is a book that needs to be pre-ordered and then devoured - I promise you won't regret it.  Now, I just need to know how long I'm going to have to wait for book 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...