Half-Term Round-up

Well, it's been quite the bookish half-term!  
I started the break with the privilege of being at the launch for Flock Horror.

I then took myself to the British Library; somewhere I've always meant to visit but just never got round to, and wow!  I can highly recommend it.  I had no idea they had an exhibition with original Mozart and Beatles manuscripts; Wilfred Owen's work, not to mention the Lindisfarne Gospels and The Magna Carta!

I then managed to stumble across the umbrella shop that was part of the inspiration for The Umbrella Mouse.


And amongst all of that, I managed to get some reading done too!  Here's a round-up of the books I've read that I haven't yet shared.



Montgomery Bonbon Murder at the Museum - 
Alasdair Beckett-King
Montgomery Bonbon is known as a brilliant detective; what people don't know is that Montgomery is actually Bonnie Montgomery, a ten year old school girl with an old raincoat, a stick-on moustache, a beret and a mysterious foreign accent, and only her grampa knows!  Whilst visiting Hornville Museum, a murder occurs and Montgomery Bonbon is determined to get to the bottom of things. 

I love a good detective story and this is a great one!  Montgomery is a wonderfully vibrant and  quirky character who is full of confidence.  Unafraid of being herself (or himself!), she will delight readers as both Bonnie and Montgomery.  With a plot that will keep readers guessing and humour woven into the action, you will be hooked until the end.  And I have to mention that illustrations by Claire Powell - the perfect accompaniment. 

Watch out Agatha Christie, Montgomery Bonbon is in town and I can't wait to see what happens next.



Dandy The Highway Lion – Stephanie Sorrell

When Ben and Hattie move to London due to their parents’ jobs, they feel lonely; that is until they meet Dandy Paws, a rather dapper lion who befriends them in the park.  As well as being perfectly well-mannered and impeccably dressed, he is also a highway lion, who steals from the rich to give to poor animals, his aim being to right wrongs that have been done to them. 

With a host of simply wonderful characters and a plot that will keep readers thoroughly entertained, Dandy The Highway Lion is a delightful book with a classic feel to it; it’s full of warmth and touches of humour but also incorporates some important messages about looking after animals.

I know that this book created interest in school before half-term and I predict that it will be a popular loan from my trolley.

Alex Neptune: Pirate Hunter - David Owen.

Alex and his friends are back and after the thrills of the first book, Alex needs to try to get to grips with his new-found skills.  Spending time in the sea, Alex is shocked when a girl looking remarkably like a mermaid emerges to tell him that he is wanted for his powers.  Shortly after, he discovers that pirates in a ship made from rubbish are hunting him as they think he will lead them to the egg of the water dragon. 

More confident in himself in this book, Alex still needs to get to grips with his powers and, despite his increased confidence, he is still struggling at times; however, he is determined to keep the dragon egg safe.  I loved the fact that the animals are back and the otters remain my favourite.

Action-packed with pirates, water dragons, messages about being kind to the ocean and a thrilling adventure, Alex Neptune: Pirate Hunter is a brilliant sequel and I can’t wait to see what happens next.


Haarville – Justin Davies

Haarville is an unusual island which is incredibly difficult to get to.  Constantly shrouded in mist, strangers are unheard of, that is until Baggit and his son, Nathaniel, turn up and declare that they are the rightful owners of Fearty’s Perpetuals.  This obviously causes twelve-year-old orphan Manx Fearty considerable distress as this was his family store and one he has been running since he became an orphan.  Not willing to just hand over the store, Manx determines to prove Baggit and Nathaniel wrong in order to save his family’s legacy as well as the town itself.

When I read that Haarville would be perfect for fans of Malamander, I was intrigued and I have to say that I wasn’t disappointed.  This is a unique story set in a fish-filled town with a host of quirky characters.  Manx’s drag-queen guardian, Father-G, is a fabulous character and I was also fond of Fantoosh, Manx’s best friend. 

Dark, funny and intriguing, Haarville is a fish-tastic tale that will go down well when I take it into school.



Onyeka and the Rise of the Rebels - TolÁ Okogwu

After the trilling end to book 1, Onyeka and her friends are now on the run, depserate to escape Dr Doyinbo and his plans.  They also need to find a way to get Niyi's powers back to him and find Onyeka's parents.  The problem they have is they don't know who they can trust.  

Having loved and raced through book 1 , I was absolutely thrilled to have been able to read book 2 on NetGalley before it was released, and it didn't disappoint.  The book is full of twists and uncertainty as the group discover who they can trust.  The action is ever-present and definitely kept me on my toes.  I felt as though I got to know the characters more as the book progressed and the end of the book left me absolutely wanting more.

Full of fast-paced action and characters you will be rooting for, Onyeka and the Rise of the Rebels will be a book that will leave you wanting more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...