The Dream Snatcher - Abi Elphinstone


 Moll lives in the Tanglefern Forest as part of a traveller community and, although she has no parents, Oak and Mooshie have brought her up as their own.  When she wakes up one night alone and in the middle of the forest, she realises she's been having the same nightmare she always has; however, this time she is determined to be brave. With Gryff the wildcat by her side,  she ventures across the river and beyond the boundary that has been set for her and towards Skull's camp.  Whilst trying to rescue her horse, Jinx, she realises that her nightmare is coming true before her very eyes.  Making it back to her own camp with Jinx, she decides she needs answers and so discovers that she is far more important than she knew.  In fact, it is up to Mol and Gryff to fight against the Dreamsnatcher to destroy the Soul Splinter.  And so begins an adventure that will take Moll on a journey in more ways than one, but can she do what she needs to?

It really is no secret that I am a MASSIVE fan of Abi's books and the Unmapped Chronicles series is one of my all time favourite series (I'm currently reading Rumblestar with my class).  I was absolutely thrilled to have her in school on Friday morning (& yes, I was in major fan-girl mode!) so I was able to get myself a signed copy of The Dreamsnatcher - I can't quite believe I haven't read it yet!



With an early train to London on Saturday, I took Moll for company and was lost in her world before we'd even passed Durham!  Although it came as no surprise to me, the world-building with in the book is superb and you instantly find yourself in Tanglefern with Moll, amongst the Sacred Oaks and the tangled branches; you can feel the drum beats and the rattle as you read, and it all goes to build a terrifically dark atmosphere that captivate you throughout.  

Moll is a wonderful character, full of spirit and determination.  She won't let anybody tell her what to do and never sits still!  She will capture the heart of readers and I found myself willing her on at every stage (which, at times, meant that I was leaning forward in my seat on the train!).  I must also mention the other characters in the book and the small touches that make them feel very human: Mooshie brandishing her tea-towel whenever you read of her; Cinderella Bull (brilliantly named) and her predictions, as well as Siddy and his pet worm, Porridge the Second.

The Dreamsnatcher is a a thrillingly delicious adventure full of excitement, love and hope; it had me completely gripped and saw me in tears (yes, on the train!) and breathless with anticipation.  I can't believe it's taken me so long to read it and I'm now desperate to read The Shadow Keeper and The Night Spinner.


And, by the way, if you ever get the chance to have Abi in school, grab it with both hands!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...