Like A Curse - Elle McNicoll



Ramya is back … and so is the Siren Portia who takes over Edinburgh, causing Ramya’s family to retreat to their home on the banks of Loch Ness. Frustrated by her aunts’ and Mum’s apparent lack of action, Ramya decides that it is up to herself and Marley to save the Hidden Folk and stop Portia before it’s too late, but that involves having to get past her Aunt Opal and sneak out of the house as well as getting back to Edinburgh. Can the pair do what is needed before it’s too late? Will what little magic Ramya has learnt be enough? Or will Portia finally get what she wants?


Like A Charm
was the most amazing novel (you can read my review here) and as I started reading Like A Curse, I was torn between gobbling it up to find out what happens or savouring it so I could make it last.  I started reading it on Saturday morning and had to tear myself away to get jobs done.  It was late afternoon before I was able to curl up with a cuppa and get back to the book and it didn't take long for me to realise that the idea of savouring the book was just not going to happen!  Like A Curse is a veritable rollercoaster of events that will have you gasping out loud and yelling at the book  phrases like: 'What...?'  'Noooooo!' & 'Somebody else is going to have to make dinner!'  Trust me, there are twists in this book that you will not be able to see coming (just look back at my Tweets from Saturday night if you don't believe me!) and I guarantee that you will be on the edge of your sofa as you read.  

Elle's writing is superb and transports you directly to Scotland, starting at St Giles' Church and then quickly heading up to Loch Ness.  As I read, I was reminded of the time I was there as a child with my family and declared with great certainty that I had spotted the Loch Ness Monster, at which point my younger sister promptly locked herself in the car and refused to let us in - if only we'd known... Throughout the book, the images conjured in my mind were vivid and I wandered the Lock and the streets of Edinburgh alongside Ramya - I love it when I can do that with a book.

As you read, you quickly find yourself back with familiar faces as well as being introduced to some new ones - the question is, who can you trust?

Ramya is the most wonderful character and a force of nature.  She is true to herself and I love that she embraces who she is now she is away from her classroom.  Elle is a true champion of neurodiversity and I know that her books help children to see themselves and also educate children on neurodiversity (both of which are important).  The messages throughout the book are fiercely positive and Ramya's attitude is one I admire; however, it was this quote that I loved the most: 'I'm never going to be a neurotypical child.  I was meant to be so much more.'  The is a book full of messages like that that will help children; messages about resilience, not giving up, being yourself, staying strong, trust... and my copy is now peppered with post-its to remind me where all the quotes I want to share and remember are.

I could continue to gush about Like A Curse for so much longer and I can't wait for it to reach the book shops so that I can talk to people about it without spoiling the plot.  But, for now, I'm just going to say that Elle's writing goes from strength to strength; Like A Curse is a completely gripping, gasp-out-loud story that will send you on a rollercoaster of a ride in the best possible way.

Released on the 2nd February, Like A Curse is a book that demands to be pre-ordered and deserves all the praise that is coming its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...