Always, Clementine - Carlie Sorosiak

 


Clementine is a mouse, but no ordinary mouse; she is an incredibly intelligent mouse who can think, do maths and have emotions like a human and all because she was bred in a lab to be like this.  However, the story starts with Clementine (along with another mouse named Hamlet) sat in a post box where has been put by one of the scientists who believes that they shouldn't be kept in the lab any more.  When Clementine and Hamlet are found by Gus, he takes them home to his grandfather.  Gus and his grandfather quickly realise how special Clementine is but also realise that she is in danger when they see a TV appeal for her safe return so set about devising a plan to keep her safe which involves a game of chess.  But can they keep Clementine safe with the scientists hunting her down?

Having thoroughly enjoyed Carlie's first two books (I, Cosmo; and My Life As A Cat), I was delighted to receive a proof copy of Always, Clementine and I have to say that I think this is her best book yet.  Told from Clementine's point of view as a series of letters to Rosie, the chimpanzee friend she had in the lab, she recounts everything that happens to her.  She is a delightful character full of spirit and determination who is in awe of all the new experiences she is having now she has escaped from the lab.  I found her such an endearing character and she stole my heart from the beginning - in fact, I found myself wanting to adopt her so I could play chess with her (not that I would stand a chance of winning!).  Gus also captured my heart, along with Pop, Gus's grandfather: it is apparent that Gus has been in trouble at the end of term in school and has been given strict instructions by his parents that he needs to behave whilst he is at his grandfather's over the summer.  However, his compassion and desire to help Clementine drive him on and, before he knows it, he and Pop are fully invested in securing Clementine (and Hamlet's) safety.  Pop and Gus are genuinely good people and there absolutely needs to be more people like them in the world.

The whole idea of a mouse playing chess is one that I know will appeal to many children in my school where chess club is always popular and I found the narration of the games interesting and well balanced, with just enough detail to intrigue readers but not so much detail to confuse those who don't know how to play the game - in fact, I think the book may encourage more children to want to learn to play.

Published on the 1st September, Always, Clementine is a delight of a book with strong messages about doing the right thing, animal testing and never giving up.  I know that readers will fall in love with Clementine and I can't wait to share the book in school next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Storm Child - Ele Fountain

Maya is clearly happy with her life.   Although her family are struggling to make ends meet, she has a good group of friends and...