The Unexpected Tale of the Bad Brothers - Clare Povey

)

 After the thrilling ending to The Unexpected Tale of Bastien Bonlivre, things have settled down for Bastien and his friends ... or so he thinks.  But with the Exposition Universelle looming and trouble brewing, including fires burning around Paris, Bastien realises that he and his friends need to act.  And when the clues start stacking up, things get dangerous.  However, with more than just Bastien and his friends at risk this time, they know they need to be braver than ever.

I've desperately tried to keep the synopsis spoiler-free for those who have yet to read book one (of course, I will immediately ask you why you haven't as it's brilliant!  Here's my review in case you need further prompting: https://kandobonkersaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2021/08/the-unexpected-tale-of-bastien-bonlivre.html).  I first encountered Bastien last August and was utterly charmed by the book so when I discovered I could get a sneaky early read of The Unexpected Tale of the Bad Brothers, to say I was excited was an understatement!

Diving in, you are immediately transported back to the Paris of 1923 with glorious references to delicious food and the temptation of book stores to get lost in (I even Googled Le Chat Curieux to see if it exists!).  I highly recommend having a stash of croissants to hand whilst you read as you will need them.  The setting, once again, leads us through the streets of Paris and the description allowed me to visualise the streets I long to head back to (not long now), and with the addition of the parks and the idea of the bouquinisites, I felt I was right alongside Bastien at every step.

Life is clearly better for Bastien at the beginning of this book (I won't explain why as I don't want to spoil book 1) and his increase in confidence is clear to see; however, there are still times when the old Bastien rears his head, but bolstered by old friends and new, he perseveres (a quality I feel he oozes) and I love his determination.  Clearly, he wants to solve the mystery of his parents' notebook and this is what drives him on but there is definitely more there as a driver this time: the need to protect others.  It was lovely to see Alice back again and she remains a strong young lady whose friendship with Bastien is as strong as ever.  I also have to mention Mathilde who we are introduced to at the beginning of this book; fiercely determined and not somebody to be messed with, she has a strength that has been built from her past which we discover in drips as the book unfolds.  And then, of course, we have the brothers whom I can describe in just one word: dastardly!

The writing in The Unexpected Tale of the Bad Brothers has a real feel of a classic novel to it and I loved to get lost within the pages.  Warm and enticing, the plot is full of adventure, daring-do and just enough peril to keep readers gripped (the ending in particular).  Friendship, determination and doing the right thing all feature prominently in this perfect sequel for Bastien and I just hope we haven't seen the last of this wonderful character - I need to know what he will do next.

Due for release on the 7th July, The Unexpected Tale of Bastien Bonlivre is a book to pre-order.  I know that when I get back to school after half-term there will be gasps when students hear I've already read the book - they are big fans.

The Unexpected Tale of the Bad Brothers was most definitely the best way for me to start my bank holiday weekend, but now I've finished it, I want to head straight back into its pages again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The City Beyond The Stars - Zohra Nabi

Yara longs to return to the Kingodm of Zehaira and free her mother from the clutches of the alchemist.  But when her mother sends Yara a cry...