The Unexpected Tale of Bastien Bonlivre - Clare Povey



Bastien Bonlivre has just been made an orphan following the death of his famous writer parents who were killed in a suspicious hotel fire.  Under French laws, his family friends who own Le Chat Curieux bookstore in Paris where he and his parents lived are not allowed to adopt him, therefore he is forced into an orphanage where life is anything but enjoyable.  Bastien soon makes friends with the other boys, in particular Theo, and despite the best efforts of the orphanage's cruel master, Xavier, the children manage to get by, with Bastien's natural talent as a story-teller helping them.
Meanwhile, on the other side of Paris, Olivier Odieux is a writer who is struggling to finish his latest novel and is plotting the most evil way to solve his problem.  But how are the two things connected and can Bastien and his friends stop Olivier before it's too late?

Ok, so disclaimer: I have a real soft-spot for books set in Paris so when I heard about The Unexpected Tale of Bastien Bonlivre, I was immediately drawn to it and was desperate to read it (thanks to Usborne for approving my NetGalley copy); what I wasn't prepared for though, was just exactly how much I would love this book!  It's absolutely brilliant and I wish I was still engrossed in it!

Why is it so good?

The setting.  Ok, so I have to mention this first!  As I said, it's set in Paris so descriptions of various parts of the city dance off the page to remind me just how much I love the place.  From the idea of the bookstore and bookish community, to the winding streets of Montmartre and even the catacombs under the city (really curious to take a tour of those now!), I was transported back to the city I love.  Even the food described took me back there (well, perhaps not the food served in the orphanage!)

The characters.  There are a host of wonderful characters woven into this story; some of whom you will love whilst there are others you will most definitely hate!  Bastien is a resilient young man who is determined to discover the truth about everything that is going on.  He is a natural story-teller and his imagination (as well as his stories) helps to boost the other boys' morale - I also happen to really like the short stories he tells that are within the main story.  Theo is also a rather wonderful character and the very best friend to Bastien (which is completely reciprocated). I also want to mention Alice who lives with her parents in Le Chat Curieux: she is a rather fiercely determined young lady with the best abode in the world (she lives in/above a bookshop in Paris for goodness sake!)
Finally, a word about the baddies: Xavier, who runs the orphanage, clearly hates children and reminded me very much of Miss Trunchbull in Matilda!  Also, Olivier, who will stop at nothing to get what he wants - I guarantee you will love to hate them!

The plot.  Set in 1920's Paris, The Unexpected Tale of Bastien Bonlivre very much has the feel of a classic adventure story and has all the elements you need: good versus evil, tension, action, characters you love to hate, plot twists, escapism ... there's even a map!  With messages about resilience and friendship, this is a book that I guarantee will make you feel-good, will put a smile on your face and will leave you wanting more.  

Released on September 2nd, The Unexpected Tale of Bastien Bonlivre is a must-buy book and I will absolutely be pre-ordering a copy for myself ... now, I wonder how long until book 2 is out?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...