The Secret of Splint Hall - Katie Cotton

 


WWII has ended but life isn't easy for Flora and Isobel whose father has died during the war.  On top of that, their house was destroyed, leaving them homeless and forcing their mum to make the decision to take them to live with their aunt and uncle at the family's ancestral home, Splint Hall.  From the second they arrive at the imposing manor, it becomes evidently apparent that their mum's brother-in-law, Mr Godfrey, rules the place and is not happy at their arrival.  Imposing strict rules on the sisters, he makes it clear that he doesn't really want them there.  Despite this, Flora and Isobel manage to explore and are curious to know why there are people arriving with packages during the night, what the blue sparks they saw are when they arrived and why they aren't allowed near the air-raid shelter.  The more they discover, the more it shows them that there is a family secret to be uncovered, leading them to an adventure they will never forget.

I'm always drawn to MG books set during the war so I was excited to dive into The Secret of Splint Hall; what I didn't expect was the turn the book took which really took me by surprise and also delighted me!  I don't really want to say too much more than that so I don't spoil things for those of you who haven't read the book but it's definitely a very different type of war book and one I won't forget in a hurry for all the right reasons!

Flora and Isobel have had a tough time of things, having lost their home as well as their father but they are strong and determined, and this is evident from the start in their desire to explore, despite strict instructions from Mr Godfrey not to.  Speaking of Mr Godfrey, he truly is a most unpleasant character and one, if I am honest, I would have rather liked to have punched on the nose!  His air of superiority and arrogance will instantly make readers dislike him and his attitude towards his wife and the girls will just cement that feeling until you take pleasure in hating him!  There are other characters that I would love to mention but I won't as I don't want to spoil things ... but I guarantee you are in for a treat!

With adventure, family and bravery at the heart of this book, The Secret of Splint Hall is a WWII book with a difference and one you won't be able to put down when it's released on the 3rd March.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Storm Child - Ele Fountain

Maya is clearly happy with her life.   Although her family are struggling to make ends meet, she has a good group of friends and...