The Secrets Act - Alison Weatherby

 


World War II is well under way and Ellen is heading to a new job in Bletchley where she is met off the train by Pearl, a confident young lady, who takes her to Bletchley Park where the fist thing she is asked to do is sign the official secrets act.  Ellen has been recruited as a codebreaker but gets to know Pearl who is a messenger and introduces her to her circle of friends, including the young man, Richard, that Pearl is keen on.  However, when Richard is killed, the girls realise that all may not be as it first appears.  Deciding to investigate the accident, they find themselves embroiled in a spy plot that could alter the course of the war, but who can they trust?  And can they discover the truth before it's too late?

There is something about WWII fiction that I find irresistible so when I rad about The Secrets Act, I knew there was no point resisting and raced out to buy a copy (in fact, I think I picked up a copy just before its release date).  As I always advertise the book I am reading in school, I kept it until the half-term break, knowing that a YA book may not be suitable for the children (I was wrong, I think it is suitable for Y6 and will be sharing this with my class next week!).  And I'm glad I kept it until I had the time to dedicate to it without distractions as I was gripped from the very beginning and, as the climax to the plot loomed, I stayed up way past my bedtime as I just couldn't out it down!

The plot follows two very different girls: Pearl and Ellen.  We meet Ellen first who is intelligent but appears awkward and uncertain how to develop friendships with others, we learn of her mother's instructions on how to behave in social situations and of Ellen's own tricks to help her understand people - it wasn't until I read the historical note at the end of the book that I fully understood Ellen's neurodivergence and I really liked that Alison had developed her character in this way.  I loved Ellen and her steadfastness in her approach to everything she did.  Then there is Pearl who, to Ellen, appears to have it all: she is confident, can talk to boys, appears fearless and seems to know what she is doing - Ellen is slightly in awe of her; however, we quickly see that Pearl does have her insecurities and her worries (don't we all?), that she is just a young girl falling in love and trying to find her way into adulthood.  Together, they make a perfect pair and I thoroughly enjoyed the dynamic between them - their differences complimented each other.  There are a host of other characters that make this book a gripping read and, as the plot progressed, I found myself trusting nobody and second guessing the way people were behaving and the motives for their actions!

Having visited Bletchley with my son in 2018, I was thrilled to be able to visualise the setting for the novel: the image of the mansion and the huts sprang to mind so vividly; lunches around the lake and the freezing conditions during the winter made things very real.  The more I read, the more I wanted to go back again to follow Pearl and Ellen's footsteps.  The secrecy and the treks from their billets in all weather, the endless hours of work, the not knowing whether they had made a difference ... The Secrets Act really highlights exactly what these young women did, how much they gave and, until the 1970s, all in complete secrecy without being able to talk about any of it.  This book is an important reminder to young people today of exactly what my grandparents, their great grandparents, sacrificed for us and is one I feel everybody should read.

At this point, having re-read my review so far, I'm not completely certain I've quite done this book the justice it deserves!  It's an utterly gripping novel of bravery, secrecy and friendship that you won't be able to put down; it's a YA novel that would be suitable for some Y6 children and would make a wonderful film (I can see it on the big screen now!).  In short, The Secrets Act is a book you absolutely have to read so please go out and buy a copy today - I promise you won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Developing Reading Comprehension Skills: Classic Poetry - Kate Heap

Poetry can be a tricky thing to understand and can be a can be a difficult to answer questions on so Kate's Developing Reading Comprehen...