The Book of Stolen Dreams - David Farr

 


Rachel and Robert Klein live in Krasnia which is under the very strict rule of Charles Malstain, whose laws make life for everyone tough: children are only allowed out to go to school where the daily routine is very regimented; however Rachel and Robert's parents make life at home as exciting as possible, allowing Robert to explore his love of science whilst also nurturing Rachel's desire to dream by creating adventures within their apartment.  Their father, Felix, works at the North Brava Public Library where he considers the books within its walls to be an extension of his family - he loves words and the books he reads, but there is one book in particular that Felix treasures more than any: The Book of Dreams - a unique book.  It's kept in a locked room for rare books when admittance is by invitation only.  Felix has discovered that Charles Malstain is sending soldiers to remove the book and take it to his palace where it will be burned and he is adamant that this will not happen so takes the children to the library, removes the book and gives it to Rachel and Robert.  However, before they can leave, soldiers arrive.  Felix is able to get the children and the book to safety but he is arrested and later sentenced to a life sentence and hard labour in a prison camp.  This is too much for their mother who, already ill, dies, leaving the children alone.  Both Rachel and Robert know that the most important thing is to protect the book and so their adventure begins.  When they discover the magical truth about the book, they become even more determined to do everything they can to keep the book away from Charles Malstain.  What ensues is a race across not only Krasnia but also across the boarders to Brava.  

When this book arrived, it immediately grabbed my attention and I was desperate to dive straight in but I knew that once I began reading it, I wouldn't be able to put it down so I resisted (with much difficulty) until after the start of the holidays and I'm so pleased I did!  This is the most wonderful book that will grab you in every way.  I literally couldn't put it down and read it in a day!  It's taken me until now to be able to write the review as I needed to be able to put my thoughts into some sort of coherent set of sentences instead of just repeating, 'This book is amazing and everybody needs to read it as soon as it is published!'

So where to start?

I'll start with the writing: the style immediately draws you in, in particular the direct address of the reader in the introduction.  The setting is visually stunning in every way; vivid images are painted that feel very real and will stay with you: for me the idea of it being in another country to my own made it feel more dangerous and exciting.  Krasnia has a very Easter-European feel to it; you can feel the chill in the air and find yourself curious about the narrow streets and the danger that lurks there; however, it's the description of the library that really got me - I love anywhere there are books but this library just felt special, from the courtyard through the side entrance to the smell and the lure of the Rare Books Room - I have to say I've been back and read this bit several times!  

Next the characters: both Rachel and Robert Klein are wonderful characters with an incredibly heavy burden to carry once they are given the book, and everything the could change in their life does: they go from being part of a loving family, to being alone and not knowing who to turn to.  Robert is the older sibling and is clearly brave, taking on the lead in protecting the book initially; however, it is Rachel who is the true hero.  She develops a calmness beyond her years that serves her well.  She is both brave and wise and somebody I know many readers will admire and want to emulate.  However, in complete contrast, you have Charles Malstain (a fitting surname I feel).  His desire for ultimate power leads to an evil and truly scary character who will stop at nothing to get exactly what he wants.  His greed and envy will be something readers will be able to learn from.  I feel that I should also mention Josef Centurion who kept me guessing and I loved as a character, as well as Mitzie who is as fierce as fierce can be and has my utmost respect!

The Book of Stolen Dreams is an ultimate adventure across cities and countries to do what is right, to save families and ultimately an entire country.  It's a book to treasure and one you will want to read again and again; it's a book to become enthralled with.  Readers will find themselves lost in the streets of Krasnia, travelling alongside Rachel and Robert in their adventure.  I guarantee that The Book of Stolen Dreams will stay with you long after you've turned the final page and found the perfect spot for it on your book shelf - it will whisper to you as you pass it, reminding you of its contents and urging you to pick it up again (it's done this to me frequently already!).  It will remind you of the courage of both children and their quest to save The Book of Dreams.

Due for release on the 30th September, I urge you to pre-order The Book of Stolen Dreams copy now!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...