An Unlikely Spy - Terry Deary

An Unlikely Spy - Terry Deary
(Release date: 11th July)


Having read & reviewed The Silver Hand, there were squeals of delight as An Unlikely Spy arrived at home. A follow-on of sorts in that the book features some of the same characters, however, it can be read as a stand-alone.


It's the start of WWII, and life isn't easy for Brigit Furst, as her dad is a German doctor (Marius Furst). As her father is arrested and interviewed for simply being a German living in Britain, her Mum, Aimee, is sent to a special training camp and Brigit is evacuated to Wales; however, she soon escapes and joins her mum at the camp, training as an SOE. The pair are quickly sent to the front line of Nazi-occupied France, Bray-on-Somme, where they must support the French Resistance. But can they succeed? What dangers await them?

K's opinion:

This is a fast-paced, thrilling page-turner of a book with a feisty and determined main character.  Brigit certainly wasn't going to let the small detail of being a child get in the way of what she wanted to do!  I loved returning to Bray, and seeing Aimee as a grown-up took me right back to The Silver Hand, rather like reuniting with an old friend.  I can't wait for the release of this book in July as I know many children in school will be enthralled by it.

O's opinion:

When I saw this book at the front door, I was expecting an enthralling read, full of twists and turns and unexpected character plots. I was expecting a book that would keep me hooked until the very last page, not letting go of me until I had finished. I was expecting a book that would do all of these things, and more … and that's exactly what I got and anybody who has read the book will realise that I am describing, from cover to cover, this book! As much as I tried, I could not for the life of me find any flaws! (Don't worry, I don't actually try to find flaws in amazing books like this one!) Although some lines are in French, the language is easy to understand!!!
This book, although it is flawless, leaves me with questions that are only available to answer by writing another book (cough, cough, Terry!!!), so the only question I will ask is ... wait for it ...

How do you follow a book like that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The City Beyond The Stars - Zohra Nabi

Yara longs to return to the Kingodm of Zehaira and free her mother from the clutches of the alchemist.  But when her mother sends Yara a cry...