She Wolf - Dan Smith

She Wolf - Dan Smith

'Survival always comes first; we do whatever it takes to survive.'

Set in Northumbria in December, 866, this is the story of Ylva who sets out on an epic journey in search of the three fingered man in order to avenge her mother's death.  Having to cope with the wolves that inhabit the forest as well as the harsh, winter conditions, Ylva must keep her wits about her in order to survive - but can she trust those she meets along the way?

K's opinion:
It's no secret that O and I are big fans of Dan Smith's books so we'd been looking forward to the book for some time and excitement levels were high when we got hold of a copy (there may have been squeals of delight!) and, by goodness, we weren't disappointed!  She Wolf is the perfect mix of adventure, anticipation and twists which are all bound together with a truly memorable main character.

Ylva (which means She Wolf) is young and, at first, seems fierce and determined but we soon discover that she is a many layered character and, behind her determined, stubborn exterior, there is a scared girl whose bravery is what drives her on.  I loved reading about her and seeing how she unfolded as the story progressed.  She makes mistakes along the way and I'm so pleased she does - nobody gets it right all the time & it's that that will make her relatable to readers: she's human and often thinks she knows best! I was also particularly fond of the relationship between Ylva and Geri, her dog: the discussion between the pair adds another dimension to Ylva, allowing her to share her inner most thoughts (her conscience) with her best friend.

This was a book I couldn't put down (thank goodness I got hold of it over half-term!) and one which manages to marry an action-packed story with superb description.  I loved  chatting to O about it and I'm going to love discussing it with the children in my class when they get their hands on it!  I know they have been itching to get a hold of a copy since they had a sneak preview of chapter 1 so I suspect that any post half-term bleariness will be quickly wiped away when they see the book on my desk on Monday morning!

This is a guaranteed hit, Dan and I think, dare I say it, your best book yet!!

O's opinion:

WOW! What a book! Getting my hands on a copy was the best book grab in months. I couldn't wait to start it, only Mum grabbed it out of my hands to read with my bookmark inside! What a heinous crime! (she only took a day to read it so it didn't matter!) When I finally got the book and began to read, I was not disappointed!

One of the reasons that I loved She Wolf is that it is close to home, so I can easily imagine all the places and settings. Ylva was built up so well that I could imagine every part of her, from her fearlessness to her perseverance. I think every child and adult should try to take something from her character, especially her ability to look fear in the eye and shout a silly war cry at it (I'm thinking of the bear)!

Over the years, Dan has written the best books: from Boy X to Below Zero, they have all been amazing, however, I can now reveal that this book is officially the BEST book he has ever written!!! I loved the description and adventure mix wrapped in one and how he managed to fit all of the action and heart-warmth into one book, he is an amazing author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...