The Elsewhere Emporium - Ross MacKenzie

The Elsewhere Emporium - Ross MacKenzie  



The second thrilling novel in The Nowhere Emporium series, Ross Mackenzie brings the Emporium back to life with a new twist: it's been stolen!

Daniel and Ellie reveal the Emporium in a new way: a carnival of wonders! Just as they open up the shop in Keswick, a girl called Edna recognises Daniel as the owner of the Emporium and asks for a picture. She then goes on to find a new tent that no-one has seen before which includes a mirror. Breaking it, Edna then becomes possessed. How will Daniel and Ellie help her out?

Meanwhile, in 1967, Mr Ivy, Mrs Hennypeck and Flintwitch are on the hunt for a killer that has killed 6 magicians and Mrs Hennypeck is next! Will she stop the killer or will she become the next victim? And exactly how are the two stories entwined?

O's Opinion:
This book is the BEST novel I have read this year (and I've read 35 so far!). I found this a gripping tale; from the plot to the characters, everything was perfect. I have to admit that I found the plot a little hard to comprehend at first due to the dual plot/timelines, but after the first few chapters I was utterly gripped - it is a thrilling book and I loved reading it.

Daniel is my favourite character because he is very determined, not only to get his job back; but because he doesn't want to loose the new life the Emproium has given him.

Flintwitch is my favourite character in the past because he is, at first, overlooked by Mrs Hennypeck but recognised as talent by Mr Ivy. He is very courageous and I would love to be like him because he gets to work with some very talented people, as well as himself, of course.

This book needs to be read again and again. It is definitely Ross MacKenzie's finest book.

K's Opinion:
This was a much anticipated book in our house and we were thrilled to receive an early copy.  When it arrived in my classroom there were squeals of delight, audible gasps and desperate attempts to liberate it from my desk!  For a brief time, I became a slightly cool teacher thanks to The Elsewhere Emporium! 



I had intended to keep the book until the summer holiday to read but was just too tempted by its cover and the promise of what was inside to wait so I gave in to my willpower and I'm so pleased I did!  This is a wonderful book with adventure and beautifully written description woven seamlessly together (I kept going back into the classroom and reading snip-its to children who were as fully appreciative of the picture Ross paints as I was).

The dual plot was a highlight for me as I liked not quite knowing where it was taking you, but I thoroughly enjoyed be lead around London, Edinburgh and Keswick until finally all was revealed! 

This book is a triumph, Ross MacKenzie! 

'when the grand old shop made of midnight bricks comes to your town at last' will you pay the price of one dream and enter?  

I know we certainly will!




No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...