Live Well, Teach Well - Abigail Mann

Live Well, Teach Well - Abigail Mann.


A slightly different blog today ... one from just me as it's a book linked to teaching.

I was sent this book several weeks ago, before the end of the school year & was just too busy to really give it the full attention it deserved (ironic really!), so now I'm on holiday, I've been able to spend some quality time reading it (whilst sat in the garden with a cup of tea!) and what a wonderful book it is!  Full of sensible, thoughtful and useful ideas that make complete sense, this book is a must-read for every teacher.  As a profession, we are renowned for working non-stop and leaving little time for ourselves.  This book will help to make small changes which will help to make a difference.  Split into 7 sections, it's an easy book to pick up and flick through when you're looking for specific ideas, or you can (like me) sped some time reading through it & picking out favourite ideas to implement into your day.

Some of my favourite ideas include:

  • secret well-being buddies;
  • rainy day retrieval; 
  • club classics (our music teacher started a staff choir last year and it's the best way to cheer me up!  I don't claim to be a decent singer but I'm always in a great mood after choir!
  • snack attack (I'm terrible for reaching for the chocolate!);
  • preparation perfect;
  • the power of thank-you;
  • class mascot (I recently introduced a cuddly Fang from Harry Potter into the classroom & he's always being cuddled in lessons and during reading);


I could go on with this list!

There are several things that I'll be trying from this book come September & many ideas that I'll share with staff.  I'll also be putting the book on display so that staff can 'Live Well, Teach Well'.

Thank-you, Bloomsbury, for sending me this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...