When Lilac accidentally discovers that she can her family are all Seers, her world changes forever. From being a non-believer, she learns that ghosts are everywhere, and her family can see them. A misunderstanding leads her uncles to believe that she has developed the sight and before she can build up the courage to tell them otherwise, she is whisked off too Spindlewood School of Seeing. She is the first student ever to attend who cannot see ghosts, but if she reveals her secret now, the consequences will be dire. How long will she be able to keep such a big secret and what on earth is happening at the school? It quickly becomes clear that there is something ancient hidden in the library and it looks as though it might be down to Lilac to discover what it is.
A couple of weeks ago, a child in my class brought her copy of Spindlewood to me, declaring that I should read it immediately as she knew I would enjoy it! And she was right! The plot is engaging and tempting, with a host of brilliant characters (I loved getting to know Lilac but I particularly like Em and her resilience).
The atmosphere that builds is just spooky enough and perfect for this time of year as the dark nights start to draw in and Halloween approaches. The idea of something lurking beneath the library is intriguing and keeps readers guessing, and I love the connections to Lilac's family.
The school and its grounds are well developed throughout the book and are somewhere I'd love to explore (if I was feeling brave enough!) and give definite Wednesday vibes which I loved!
Spindlewood is a temptingly delightful mystery with just the right amount of dark humour woven through it and I'm so pleased the student in my class thought to lend it to me!

No comments:
Post a Comment