Dread Wood Terror Tower - Jennifer Killick


After the events in Fright Bite, Club Loser's parents are taking no chances and aren't letting any of the group out of their sights, but when Dread Wood becomes infected with caterpillars that bite and cause fevers, the gang are certain who is behind it: the Latchitts.  Knowing that they have no choice but to solve the problem themselves, they determine to get themselves a Saturday detention and use it to head into the woods to see what they can do; however, things don't go to plan and, not only are they are overcome by a white gas, but Colette is kidnapped.  
With the centenary celebrations for Dread Wood High looming closer, Club Loser knows that this is when the Latchitts will strike; they also know it will be their best chance of getting Colette back.  But can they do the impossible and finally defeat the Latchitts?

Oh blimey, the arrival of Terror Tower earlier this week really divided my emotions!  After initial excitement and squealing, I found myself feeling sad that this would be my last adventure with Club Loser and Mr C.  They're characters I've really come to know and love, and I know I'm going to miss them (especially Mr C who inspired me to set-up my own hot choccie station in my office at school!).  I read the book this weekend whilst I had family visiting - it meant getting up earlier than everybody else to devour a few pages, as well as grabbing time between things we were doing, as I couldn't just sit and ignore everyone in favour of reading the book in one go.  Everybody knew what I was reading and they also knew how creepy but amazing I find this series so delighted in trying to sneak up on me and scare me!  Whilst I was frustrated at not being able to gobble the book up in one go, I was in many ways pleased that it took me longer to read so I could savour the events.

I promise not to give any spoilers in this review so won't say too much about the plot but, safe to say, there are some very creepy creatures that appear and their genetic mutation and the things they do may well have made me squirm more than any other creature in this series (quite an achievement if you've read the other 5 books!).  In particular, the scene towards the end in the tower ... I'll say no more but 😱😱!  Jennifer really is the queen of MG horror and this book secures that crown for evermore in my opinion.  Terror Tower comes full circle in many ways (they're back at school, they end up with a Saturday detention... you'll need to read the book to find out more) and it's a roller-coaster of a ride from the get-go.  If you can't read the book in one sitting, I guarantee that you'll be thinking of it whilst you're away from it!

Angelo, Gus, Nai, Hallie, Colette and Mr C are characters I feel I've really come to know and love.  From Gus' quirky one-liners to Mr C's cringeable attempts to be cool, the characters are brilliantly relatable and very loveable; however, there is one of them I got very worried about during Terror Tower.  As for who it is and what happens to them, well you'll just have to read the book to find out.

I could go on forever singing the praises of the Dread Wood series; it's the perfect blend of creepy horror and humour, and Terror Tower is a fittingly brilliant ending.  I'm sad to see the end of this series but am delighted that my new class insisted that book 1 be their first daily reading for pleasure book this year (I didn't even need to have a vote, they just bombarded me with pleas so who was I to refuse?!).  My class last year were completely obsessed with the series (they have good tastes) and have already been back to see if I have Terror Tower! It's clear that we're a Dread Wood school! These books will forever have a place in my heart and will always make me jump when I read them!  Club Loser to the end. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Turtle Moon - Hannah Gold

  Silver's parents have been trying unsuccessfully to have another baby for years and it's making them miserable.  Although they try...