Maisie VS Antarctica - Jack Jackson


Maisie's dad is a writer, but not normal books!  He writes books about how to do things (How To Wrestle A Crocodile, How To Build A Zip Wire, How To Defuse A Bomb).  He'll head off for a couple of days and then will write the entire book when he gets back, and Maisie has no idea how he knows to do these things.  At the beginning of the Christmas holidays, he announces that he's heading away again to prepare for his latest book, How To Survive in Antarctica.  However, when the neighbour who usually looks after Maisie says something has come up, he thinks the trip will be off ... until Maisie persuades him to take her along.  Unfortunately, things don't go according to plan and their plane crashes into Antarctica, stranding them and the pilot.  With no one around, things look bleak, but then Maisie begins to notice strange things about her dad and she's determined to get to the bottom of what is going on.

The plot of most children's books are based on the main characters losing their parents and all other adults so that they can have their adventure, so the idea of Maisie VS Antarctica being based around a daughter going on an adventure with her father intrigued me.  From the start, Maisie's voice is strong and I thoroughly enjoyed the first person narrative: she's a real character and not afraid to voice her opinions to her dad.  It's just the two of them and has been since Maisie's mum died just after she was born.  She knows that her dad works hard looking after her, but freely admits that she thinks her father is boring!  It's obvious they are close so it comes as quite a surprise when Maisie begins to realise that something strange is happening with her father, and it's her determination to get to the bottom of this that shows what a strong (and stubborn) character she is. I absolutely adored her and I know that other readers will too. A shout out too to Guillermo the pilot: I loved his character and his friendly manner; I got the opinion he's a big friendly giant.

This is a fast-paced adventure that is full of peril but also full of humorous touches that will make you smile.  The book was one that captivated me from the start and I really didn't want to put it down (reading it in Paris was a bad idea as I had no choice but to stop reading; still, it gave me an excuse to enjoy the café culture more - stopping for a drink gave me the perfect excuse to read a few more pages!).

With chapter headings that mirror the titles of her father's books, facts about Antarctica and survival woven into the adventure, and a gentle look at grief, Maisie VS Antarctica is a book that would make a brilliant read aloud book in the classroom.  

My proof copy came with a letter from Jack, which made an interesting read, and I was thrilled to see that this is the first in a new series.  I can't wait to see what adventure awaits Maisie and her father next.  Maisie VS Antarctica publishes on 10th October and I don't feel I've quite done the book justice so please just go out and pre-order it so you can experience the joy I felt reading it for yourself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Turtle Moon - Hannah Gold

  Silver's parents have been trying unsuccessfully to have another baby for years and it's making them miserable.  Although they try...