The Beanstalk Murder - P. G. Bell


Life in the village of Old Stump changes in an instant when a dead giant falls from the sky and destroys everything.  This in itself is bad enough, but when it is discovered that the dead giant was actually royalty, and murdered, things get even more serious.  It falls to Anwen (a meadow-witch) and Cerys (a trainee sorceress) to solve the crime; however, this involves heading up into giant territory and who knows what will happen there.

I loved the imagination and world-building that P. G. Bell conjured in The Train To Impossible Places series, so I was excited and intrigued when The Beanstalk Murder arrived ... and then I read that it's 'The BFG meets Murder Most Unladylike' and there was no keeping me away from the book!  I began reading on Friday morning, with the intention of reading a chapter or two with my morning cuppa before getting on with the rest of the day... those two chapters, quickly became quarter of the book as I couldn't put it down, and I'd gobbled up the entire thing by Saturday morning!

From the beginning, the book captures your imagination with a description of the village of Old Stump as well as an introduction to Anwen and Cerys.  Anwen is a meadow-witch who can communicate with animals and uses everyday spellcraft, but whose ability to do high magic is seriously limited.  Cerys, on the other hand, is about to head to the Academy of High Magic and isn't shy in letting Anwen know how superior she feels because of this.  It is clear that the pair don't get on and have very different ways of life.  It is this dynamic that makes things very interesting, and sometimes funny, when they are thrown together to investigate the murder. 

The concept of traditional fairy tales being woven with a murder mystery is wonderfully unique and kept me gripped throughout.  I didn't guess who the murderer was and the plot definitely kept me guessing.  Danger, daring deeds and dastardly villains entwine in this delightfully funny witchy murder mystery that will leave readers wanting more.  I know The Beanstalk Murder is a stand-alone book, but I could absolutely see Anwen and Cerys teeming up again to solve more mysteries...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Alice Éclair A Dash of Daring - Sarah Todd Taylor

When a cipher machine that can unscramble unreadable messages in seconds goes missing along with the man who created it,  Alice is drafted i...