Dragon Force Devourer's Attack - Katie & Kevin Tsang


Lance and his sister, Zoe, were thrilled when they were invited to Camp Claw in Infinity's Secret (you can read my review here) and with the end of the book leaving you with sooooo many questions, it's no surprise that Devourer's Attack gets right to the action.  With the Devourer having captured and frozen so many of the Dragon Force team, it's up to Lance, Zoe, Bea, Arthur and their bonded dragons to get to the bottom of what is going on and to save not only Dragon Force but quite possibly the New World as well.  However, facing such a dangerous creature is going to be the biggest challenge of their lives and, with very little training under their belts, will they be able to succeed?

Ok, I know I say this every time I write a review for this series, but I really am a HUGE fan of these books and I was really rather giddy when I finally met Katie at the Simon & Schuster brunch last weekend!  The arrival of Devourer's Attack on Friday was the perfect way to start my weekend and it zoomed straight to the top of my reading pile, giving me the perfect excuse for a lie-in on Saturday morning!


The book begins with a dark and ominous, short chapter that sets the scene, enticing readers in and letting them know that 'The Devourer is coming'.  I defy anybody to read it and not be gripped!  Chapter two wonderfully combines a recap of Infinity's Secret with the beginning of the next instalment, reacquainting you with Lance, Zoe, Bea and Arthur as well as their dragons, Infinity, Violet, Neon and Jaws.  The action is there from the start and, whilst discovering more about the main characters and their dragons, you are immersed in Camp Claw and the dangers that lie ahead for the team.

I love the individuality that Katie and Kevin have always brought to their characters and, whilst Lance feels the pressure to lead the group through this situation, it is clear that he is scared and uncertain (quite rightly - I would be too!).  With his erhu and his music to guide and help him, he shows readers that it's ok to be scared and I love that.  Zoe really captured me in this book with her constant optimism and positivity, but there is something that happens (I'm not giving away any spoilers but... 😲) that brings home the message about loving people for who they are that highlighted the bind the siblings have that melted my heart. 

Like the rest of the series, Devourer's Attack is full of imagination, fast-paced action, peril and tension that meant I found it hard to put the book down.  The world-building is again wonderfully immersive and the map at the beginning of the book is a real treat (I have a weakness for maps in books!). The book is a great reminder that we are all unique and have skills we should be proud of, whilst also showing us that we work better when we work as a team.  With additional messages about friendship and resilience, Devourer's Attack is joyous escapism and will leave you impatient for the next instalment as well as desperate to bond with a dragon. 

This book has been much anticipated in school and I know that I will be trampled in the stampede tomorrow morning when I take my copy in ahead of publication (28th March).  Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...