Fright Bite - Jennifer Killick


Club Loser are back and this time, they are heading for an evening of fun and frivolity at Neon Perch, the place to hang out, to celebrate Colette's 13th birthday. With a kitty for 'noms and spends' in a Mr C-style bumbag and a host of activities pre-paid, the team head in to relax and enjoy themselves. The evening starts well and then they head to Project Z, the escape room where they quickly realise that things aren't right but they have no choice but to keep going. With sinister goings on, unwanted visitors and vicious creatures out to attack, Club Loser's evening takes a very different turn and they are forced into the fight of their lives.

Anybody who follows me on social media will know how much I fangirl over Jennifer's books, and I have had the greatest pleasure of reading both Dread Wood and Fear Ground to my class this term. They are huge fans and insisted on having the lights out and the blinds closed during reading time (they are braver than me!). They have been asking me about Fright Bite for weeks and so I'm gutted that we have finished for Christmas and won't be able to let them know I have a copy until next term ... it did mean, though, that I was able to read it without a gaggle of children chomping at my heals to get their hands on it! I know it won't even make my trolley when I get back to school!

The arrival of Fright Bite was the best start to the Christmas holidays I could have asked for and I literally dropped everything yesterday to read it. I promise it won't disappoint.

Club Loser are now closer than ever and know each other so very well (Gus' analysis of who he sits next to in different situations highlights this and is genius!) and it's nice to see them heading off for a night of fun, after all, it's what they deserve. Of, course the evening doesn't go as planned (& we readers would undoubtedly be very disappointed if it did!) and the action quickly ramps up - there are some dramatic twists and turns; expect several audible gasp moments and to be creeped out in the very best way. 

Gus remains my favourite character and his manner and speech make me laugh and love him in equal measure, but Mr C is still a close second as I just love his attempts to be cool! The girls are fierce and remind us that equality is alive and kicking... and Angelo is an ever level presence. I always feel for him, and his character quietly reminds us that outward appearances can harbour anxieties and struggles that aren't always visible (as do the others to be fair) . In amongst the humour and horror is a level of humility that let's children know that it's OK not to be OK, and that everyone has something going on that isn't always obvious. 

Released on the 18th January, Fright Bite is scrumptiously scary, frightfully funny and utterly moreish.  I've always said that Jennifer is the queen of MG horror and Fright Bite proves that she reigns supreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...