Thieves Gambit - Kayvion Lewis


Ross Quest and her mum are a team who make their way in the world by stealing. Their name is legendary and they live in luxury from the proceeds of their heists.  However, just as Ross decides she wants to spend the summer at a gymnastics camp (to live like a normal teenager and make friends for a change), her mum is kidnapped during a heist.  When the kidnappers demand demand a billion for her release, Ross has no choice but to join Thieves' Gambit, a competition established for the world's best thieves and one that could prove deadly.  With a win securing the prize of one wish, Ross knows that this is the only chance she has of rescuing her mum alive. She just needs to stay true to the values she's always been taught: trust noone. 

I always live a good adventure book and was keen to read Thieves' Gambit when I found it on NetGalley, especially as I knew it would appeal to O as well as to me. I know we always read more on holiday, but he devoured the book in a day with a cry of, 'You can't leave it there!' as he finished it so I knew I was in for a treat (I gobbled it up in under 24 hours too).

From start to finish, Thieves' Gambit is an action-packed, heart-racing adventure that readers will find utterly irresistible.  The combination of danger, action and not knowing who you can trust is intoxicating and I'm convinced this is why we both read the book so quickly. 

The whole premise of the competition allows readers the time to speculate over who will win and exactly who, if anybody, Ross can trust. She is clearly a strong, independent character and one I wouldn't mess with; however, as with anybody, she has her vulnerabilities and we see these at various stages of the book ... I don't think it's giving anything away to say that her mum is her biggest weakness.  The question is, can she use that to save her?

With a host of other characters involved in the Gambit, readers will undoubtedly decide for themselves who they like and who they would never trrust if their lives depended on it ( I think this is all part of the lure of a book like this and adds to the thrill of reading it). I know what I thought, and what my son thought, but I'm giving nothing away so you'll have to read the book for yourself and then I'll let you know!

I often find that I can guess at least part of what is going to happen with books like this but I will happily admit that there was more than one aspect of the end of this book that I didn't see coming... be prepared!

Publishing at the end of September, Thieves' Gambit is the thrilling book that will you will find unable to put down. I just hope there's more to come!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...