Memadusa - Thomas Taylor


Herbie and Violet are back and we find them in Eerie-on-Sea in the middle of winter, normally a quiet time in the town but the team who put together the Anomalous Phenomena podcast have descended on the place, determined to find the malamander (or prove it doesn't exist). Herbie isn't happy about all of this but he and Violet grow even more concerned when an Eerie hum is heard which effects the whole town.  What is causing it? Why is the Mermonkey behaving so strangely? And can Herbie and Violet finally discover the deepest secret in Eerie-on-Sea?

The Eerie-on-Sea series has been simply wonderful so it was with a mix of excitement and sadness that I began reading Mermadusa, the final book.  I knew I wanted the answers hidden within the pages but also knew that I wasn't quite ready to say good-bye to Herbert Lemon and Violet Parma. They have made such a great team since their meeting in the fist book and the relationship that has developed has been a joy to read. 

I could say so much more about the events that unfold in the book but I'm determined not to give away any spoilers so I'm keeping this review quite short. It's safe to say, however, that it's a glorious read. Yes the balance of humour is there again (which I have always enjoyed) but there is also definite tension and suspense (at times I found myself holding my breath as I read!). There's the return of some past characters and an ending that made me hug the book and quietly shed a tear. 

In the words of Herbie Lemon, 'Bladderwracks!' I've now finished this wonderfully brilliant series but it's been my pleasure to have been on this journey with Herbie and Violet.  Mermadusa is a superb and fitting ending to a brilliant series of books.  Thank-you Thomas from bringing this pair and the town of Eerie-on-Sea to us, I know they are going to bring joy to readers for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...