Alice Éclair A Sprinkling of Danger - Sarah Todd Taylor


Alice is back and this time she is investigating who is revealing the mountain locations of some of France's spies.  Claude believes that the culprit is somebody working on the film that's being shot at the Palace of Verseilles so sends Alice along with Pierre (a new recruit Alice has to train) to investigate. However, Pierre isn't the only thing Alice has to worry about as it turns out she is in more danger than she thinks. 

OK, so I absolutely adore the Alice Éclair series and love nothing more than losing myself in one of her mysteries.  I was thrilled to have been able to take A Recipe For Trouble with me to Paris last summer
 (you can read my review here) and also loved A Spoonful of Spying (my review is here) so when my copy of A Sprinkling of Danger arrived just before I went back to Paris, well there was nothing else for it: Alice was coming with me!  
This book is set largely in the Palace of Versailles which is an incredibly opulent setting and, although I didn't get there this time, I have been before and Sarah's description of the grandeur and the elegance are spot on. Trust me, you will want to visit after you've read this (I'm already looking at when I can get back!)

Set in the depths of winter, the third book sees Alice grappling with a new spy whom she needs to train as well as the mission she has, and things really aren't easy. Pierre is a most reluctant trainee and is somebody I quickly began to hate! Full of himself and determined he doesn't need help, he is in an incredibly rude character at the beginning of the book and I defy anybody not to hate him!  The winter setting provides the perfect conditions for dastardly deeds with slippery paths and mountains of snow blocking roads, all of which help to enhance the plot.

Alice is a most wonderful character and I love her independence and strength but we get to see a different side to her in this book and I wonder whether, with teasers as to what will happen in book 4 appearing at the end, we will see more of this side of Alice in the future. 

I can't finish this review without mentioning the culinary creations. From macarons to show-stopping cakes, Alice once again outdoes herself and I found myself drooling as I read (in fact, I was forced to go and buy macarons!). The bakes are a big draw for me with these books and I always look forward to reading the sumptuous descriptions of Alice's creations.  It is, of course, always best to have sweet treats on hand when reading an Alice Éclair book which gives readers the perfect excuse to indulge (with Catrine demanding fresh macarons every day, I can highly recommend having a stash handy!).

I think by now that it's obvious that my love for this series grows with every book. A Sprinkling Of Danger is the perfect mix of peril, Paris and patisseries that will having you guessing who the culprit is and desperate to read just one more chapter. It's a delicious book that I know readers are going to adore. It left me with a book hangover and I can't wait to see what's in store next for Alice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...