Global - Eoin Colfer, Andrew Donkin, Giovanni Rigano


Global tells the story of two very different children: Yuki and Sami.  They live very different lives; Yuki in the Arctic and Sami in the Bay of Bengal.  However they have one thing in common: they are both suffering at the hands of global warming.  Sami has lost his parents when they were swept away during a cyclone and now he and his grandpa struggle to make ends meet, catching very little in their fishing boat.  Yuki has realised that global warming has resulted in polar bears and brown bears crossbreeding to create grolars.  Concerned for their future, Yuki is determined to do something to help them.

I have a confession to make: Global is the first graphic novel I have read!  I have another confession to make: it won't be the last!  I loved everything about this book and gobbled it up in one  go this morning!  The combination of stunning illustrations and story-telling had me spellbound.  Throw in the dual story, which switches every chapter, and you have yourself a winning combination.  Not only does the book tell the story brilliantly, but it also perfectly highlights the plight of the world and the global crisis we are in the middle of.  These two children may be far removed from those I teach in Newcastle, but I know that their story will touch everyone who reads it and will make them think.

Global is going into school with me tomorrow and I guarantee it will be snatched (politely!) out of my hands within seconds of my class seeing it.  I also guarantee that it will generate some important and interesting covnersations. 

Out now, Global has officially convert me: I am a lover of graphic novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...