100 Ideas for Primary Teachers: Reading for Pleasure - Scott Evans


In case you didn't know, I am an avid reader!  I always have been, even as a child myself - it was, and still is, the perfect way for me to escape, so as a teacher, I have always been keen to share this love with my classes.  Then, once I had my son, I was keen to pass that love on to him too, and thankfully, he became a lover of books too (I have memories of him reading whilst walking round a shopping centre with me having to guide him by his coat!).  It was this shared love that led us to spend hours sat in Waterstones surrounded by books and was why this blog began (we used to blog together about the shared books we read).  He is now doing his A-levels so his reading choices are very different now but that love is still there for him.  I feel this is a somewhat waffly introduction to this post but it gives you an insight as to why I am so pleased to see Reading For Pleasure as the latest book in the 100 Ideas For Primary Teachers series.  I find it easy to blether on about books in school (to be fair, I'll talk about books anywhere to anybody who will listen!) and I do a lot to promote reading in school (this may sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet - it's not meant to!) but this book will be an absolute godsend to anyone who doesn't have that confidence.  It is full of simple yet effective and easy to implement ideas that will help to develop a reading culture in any school.

As I read the book, I was pleased to see many things that I do in there (sounds like I'm trumpet blowing again!) but also some new ideas that I've marked to take into school.  I feel that the beauty of this book is that you can do things as slowly or as quickly as you want to.  Obviously, creating a reading culture in school won't happen over night but there are things that will have an instant impact on children.  Let me highlight one or two for you:

Idea 2: Daily Read. This is something my class always look forward to.  We have our class read after lunch-break and it's a great way to settle everyone down.  I also find that they are quick to settle if I've left things on a cliff-hanger as they are desperate to know what happens next!

Idea 37: Reading by example.  Children seeing you as a reader, so reading when they read.  I always have my current read with me in school on my desk, and sometimes am reading when they come in in the morning - it generates a lot of discussion.

Idea 56: Reading Assemblies.  One of my favourite times of the week is a Friday morning assembly where I'm reading to the school.  I often use picture books and, no matter the age of the children, they love it!

I'm not going to give any more away: you'll have to buy the book!  But, I can tell you that every idea in this book is useful and will generate book interest in school.  The book is divided into clear sections and each idea within those sections is only a page long so they are quick to read and easy to understand (I love that there are 'bonus ideas' that link to other sections of the book).

For me, reading is one of the most important things a child needs in their life for it links to every other area of the curriculum.  If we can also develop a love of reading for pleasure in children, then we give them so much more.  100 Ideas for Primary Teachers: Reading for Pleasure is a book that needs to be in every primary school.  I guarantee it will be well used and will help to change lives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...