Glitter Boy - Ian Eagleton


 Jamie is in Year 6 and loves Mariah Carey, he enjoys dancing in choir and he loves to write poetry; what he doesn't like is being bullied by Paul who mocks his voice and calls him *that word*.  At home, things are tricky since his mum left and his dad seems to be distant (and terrible at cooking).  He is worried about his nan after her recent fall and so goes to her place every evening after school to check-in on her - he feels he can be himself around her.  When his teacher, Mr Hamilton, announces that he is marrying his boyfriend, the school choir plan to surprise him but James' dad seems reluctant to sign the consent form but Jamie doesn't understand why.   With everything going on, Jamie is beginning to question himself and who he is.

I'd heard so many good things about Glitter Boy so I was absolutely thrilled when a copy arrived through the post for me, and my goodness it's fabulous! 

Jamie is a truly wonderful character: he prefers to dance than play football and knows the words to every Mariah Carey song.  He is clearly having a difficult time at home with his mother's departure and worrying about his nan.  He has so much on his shoulders and is finding it difficult to talk to his father (who seems to be struggling to talk to Jamie too).  Readers will find that they warm to Jamie immediately and I wanted to reach into the hug on so many occasions and hug him.

I don't want to give anything away so am finding there is much I want to say that I can't so as not to spoil it for those who have yet to read the book.  What I will say is that Glitter Boy is a book that needs to be in schools; it's a brilliantly written story full of important messages about friendship, bullying, section 28 and sexuality at an age appropriate level.  It's about learning about who you are and being happy with yourself.

I read Glitter Boy in a day: it was unputdownable and, the more I read, the more I knew that it is a book that needs to be shared.  It made me cry (have tissues ready) and made me hug it at the end; it's a book that people will talk about for years to come and one that will help children in many different ways.  Thank-you Ian for writing this - you are a HeroGlitter Boy will help reader begin to understand that they shouldn't be afraid of their Emotions and When You Believe in Yourself then One Sweet Day and Against All Gods, they will learn to love who they are... too many Mariah references?  I couldn't help myself but I feel Jamie (and hopefully Ian) would approve!

Glitter Boy is out now and I would highly recommend you get yourself a copy today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...