Valentine Crow and Mr Death - Jenni Spangler

 


Valentine Crow was orphaned at birth; however, his mother's dying wish was the he be taken to the Foundling Hospital where he would be brought up with a chance of having a decent future.  Now, at the age of twelve, he and his best friend, Philomena, are about to see where life will take them next as they are to be sent into the world to become apprentices for the next seven years.  However, little does Valentine know that signing his apprenticeship papers will change his life in more ways than he could ever imagine, for a spelling mistake results in Valentine becoming apprentice to Death.

It's an interesting beginning with both Death and Valentine having to adapt to their new situation; however, Valentine quickly learns how to collect souls as they are ready to leave this world.  Eventually, Death gives Valentine his own pocket watch which will help him find the souls he needs to take, with Death showing him exactly what to do and where to take them once they have been collected.  There is much to learn but Valentine is keen to get things right.  However, when Valentine's first solo collection finds him having to collect Philomena's soul, he finds himself in an impossible situation.  Will he go through with the collection and if he doesn't, what will happen then?

Ok, I'm going to start by saying that I devoured this book in one sitting, falling completely under Valentine and Death's spells (gosh, perhaps I shouldn't be saying that I fell under Death's spell!).  The pair make an unlikely duo but are characters I already know I want to see more of.  (Please tell me there will be another book).  Valentine has lived his entire life in the Foundling Hospital where he was never alone.  Along with Philomena, who arrived on the same day as he did, this is the only place he has ever known.  He seems excited at the prospect of a new adventure and learning new skills but I don't think he would have ever expected to be collecting souls - I was struck by how caring and gentle he was.  

I think in life we often imagine Death as a heartless and cruel character and one that everyone fears, I mean, nobody really wants to see Death coming do they, let alone want to get to know him; however, it quickly becomes apparent that he is far from that here: he is caring and thoughtful when collecting souls and treats them with respect - there is a definite warmth to his reaping.  He adopts a similar attitude to Valentine, determining to do his best by the boy.  Death made me chuckle on more than one occasion and was a character I enjoyed getting to know.

One of the biggest themes of the book is obviously death.  The older we get, the more we experience loss due to Death and it's something that is familiar to many children as well, whether that be due to the death of a pet, an elderly relative or, tragically in some cases, the death of a parent or sibling. Valentine Crow and Mr Death made me think differently about the process of dying, especially later in the book when Death is reliving his time in the tree (I won't spoil things for you).  Both Death and Valentine will make readers think about the process from a different angle and I love that about this.

Jenni's writing is inviting and friendly, the book is the perfect balance of humour and warmth and I know that readers of all ages will fall under the spell of the characters.  With wonderful illustrations peppered throughout the book by Flavia Sorrentino, this is the perfect post-Christmas read - I said it earlier, but I'll say it again here: I'd love to see more of this duo in future books. 

Released on the 19th January, I know that copies of Valentine Crow and Mr Death have started appearing in stores (my copy is already waiting for me to collect), so I highly recommend making a stop in your local book shop next time you are out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The City Beyond The Stars - Zohra Nabi

Yara longs to return to the Kingodm of Zehaira and free her mother from the clutches of the alchemist.  But when her mother sends Yara a cry...