The Song Walker - Zillah Bethell


A girl wakes up to find herself alone in the desert wearing one shoe and is clutching a locked case; she doesn't know who she is or how she got there.  Not knowing what to do, she begins to walk and soon comes across Tarni who is First Country Australian and seems to be much more prepared for where they are - the Outback.  Together the girls continue their journey, both with their own agendas and both looking for answers.  

I could go into much more detail about the plot but to do so, I feel, would spoil the book in many ways and that's the last thing I want to do.  

I have to admit at this stage that I have yet to read The Shark Caller (please don't shout at me!) but I've heard great things about it so I was excited at the prospect of reading The Song Walker when an early copy arrived for me.  Despite being tempted to dive straight in, I knew this would be a book that would demand my attention so I waited until after the end of term before reading it, and by goodness am I glad I did as it grabbed me from the start and simply wouldn't let me go.

The two main characters are very different from one another; not least because Tarni knows what she's called an who she is.  Her life has clearly been spent in and around the Outback and she knows how to survive: her skills are practical and she appears strong and independent; it is evidently clear that she is proud and respectful of her community and their beliefs and I liked that we, as the reader, grew to know more about this as the book progressed.  The girl, however, is the polar opposite: unprepared for the desert and clearly lacking in survival skills, she is on the backfoot from the start and, despite knowing nothing about her, she instantly draws you into the pages, your curiosity piqued. Despite their apparent differences, it is clear that the girls need each other and their journey will entrance you.  Together they face several dangers whilst forging the most unlike of friendships.  

The Song Walker is a book that reveals itself to you slowly and carefully whilst at each stage leaves you with plenty to think about; you know that there are pieces of the plot that are just beyond your reach but they feel tantalisingly close so you can't help but read 'just one more chapter'.  I found the book deeply moving, and the more I read, the more I felt this. 

A simply stunning novel, The Song Walker is a book that deserves to be savoured - although, the more you read, the more you will simply want to devour it!  Beautifully told and deeply thought-provoking, the writing lulls you in and you are instantly transported to the warmth of the Outback whilst also sharing the dangers the land has to offer.  It will leave you breathless (and in my case with a serious book hangover) and lingering over its contents long after you have finished reading it.

Released on the 2nd February, you need to race to pre-order your copy now.  I promise you that this is a book you need in your life.  Now, I'm off to get myself a copy of The Shark Caller



No comments:

Post a Comment

The City Beyond The Stars - Zohra Nabi

Yara longs to return to the Kingodm of Zehaira and free her mother from the clutches of the alchemist.  But when her mother sends Yara a cry...