The Chestnut Roaster - Eve McDonnell


Piaf works as a chestnut roaster in the centre of Paris (on the corner of Rue du Dragon to be precise).  Small for her age, she is often mistaken for being younger that her twelve years, but Piaf is a most remarkable young lady as she remembers every single thing that has happened to her since the second she was born.  It is this gift (or burden) that leads her to realise that the man claiming to be a cousin cannot possibly be telling the truth; this saves her from being kidnapped, something that has happened to several gifted children recently.  And then she discovers that everybody else in Paris believes that it is still 1887, and not 1888 - they appear to have forgotten the last year.  Realising that something is very wrong, Piaf and her twin brother, Luc, determine to discover exactly what is going on, and so embark upon a quite remarkable journey across Paris.

I have a serious love of Paris and an even more serious love of books set in the city, so I really had no choice but to buy a copy of The Chestnut Roaster - I knew I would enjoy it, but until I started reading it, I didn't realise exactly how much I would fall in love with it.  From the very beginning I was transported to the streets of Paris and could picture myself alongside Piaf.  I found myself imagining Rue Du Dragon and Les Deux Maggots; racing around the Île de la Cité with her and venturing into the catacombs (I have determined to visit them next time I'm there).  The description lulled me into the pages of the book and transported me to the city that I love, and I promise it will do the same to you.

Piaf is a tower of strength as a character, despite being so small.  She is plagued by her 'gift' and uses boxes in her brain to help her manage all her memories.  We discover, fairly early in the book, that her twin brother, Luc, is in hospital and she has stepped up to take over his role of chestnut roaster - she clearly feels the weight of responsibility and I saw that throughout their adventure.  Whilst many may see her memories as a gift, she clearly doesn't see it that way - she was an incredibly interesting character and one I grew very fond of.  

There are a host of other wonderful characters within the book; many of whom you will love (Madame Legrand definitely fell into this category form me) and some you will find confusing in the best way (are they good?  Are they bad?  You have no choice but to keep reading to find out!).

The Chestnut Roaster is a compelling, thought-provoking book that will hook you in and enchant you; and the sinister undertones will lure you in and keep you reading.  I promise you that the description will make you yearn to head to Paris and, as you finish the final page, you will hold it in your memory for days, if not weeks, afterwards.   

I know that my love of Paris may make me biased, but I absolutely promise you that this is a book you need in your life - you will thank me afterwards! Oh, and I can highly recommend reading it with a mug of hot chocolate!



No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...