Libby And The Highland Heist - Jo Clarke

 


After a term in Paris that wasn't quite what anyone expected, Libby and her new best friend Connie, along with Libby's aunt, Miss Mousedale, are heading to spend the Christmas holidays at Connie's ancestral home in Scotland, which just happens to come with towers and its own forest!  Hoping for a quiet break, the girls quickly realise that something isn't quite right, with both of Connie's parents behaving strangely.  But what exactly is going on?  Why Might Connie not be able to return to school next term?  And why is Libby convinced that all may not be as it seems?  It's up to Libby and Connie to get to the bottom of things in their own, unique style.  

Libby and the Parisian Puzzle was a wonderful debut novel for Jo and was the perfect introduction to Libby and Connie who make a wonderful partnership, and I've been very excited to discover exactly what they were going to get up to in Scotland.  The book opens with the pair aboard a night train to Scotland and you are immediately brought up to date with a reminder of what happened in book 1 deftly woven into the first few pages (I love it when authors do this as it helps to jog my aging memory!).  They very quickly arrive in Scotland and the mystery begins to make itself known almost from the second they walk through the door.  I won't spoil anything, but it's safe to say there there's mention of secret passage ways, unusual occurrences and twists that I didn't expect!

I'm also very pleased to say that, as with Libby and the Parisian Puzzle, food makes regular appearances; however, croissants and macarons have been replaced with tattie scones and Lorne sausage (try them: they're delicious!).  Having spent much of my childhood in Edinburgh visiting my grandparents, I was thrilled that the pair end up there and even more pleased to see Greyfriars Bobby & the kirkyard make an appearance (it's one of my favourite spots in the city!).  

I know that Jo has had second book nerves, but I can honestly say that she has absolutely no need to be nervous: Libby and the Highland Heist is a triumph of a book. I adored being back with Libby and Connie; was gripped by the plot (I read the book in one sitting, much to the annoyance of my family whom I completely ignored until I was done) and am now desperate to see what the pair get up to next.

With wonderfully illustrations by Becka Moor, Libby and the Highland Heist is published on the 19th January and will make the perfect start to everybody's New Year so I highly recommend you pre-order it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Storm Child - Ele Fountain

Maya is clearly happy with her life.   Although her family are struggling to make ends meet, she has a good group of friends and...