Dread Wood: Fear Ground - Jennifer Killick


 A few months have passed since the end of book 1 (Dread Wood) and, although things have been quiet, there is a new game that the students at Dread Wood High are playing: Flinch.  The game begins when the app alerts everyone by playing the beginning of Pop Goes the Weasel; it then pauses, at which point all players try to scare others around them in order to make them 'flinch' and claim points before the end of the song rings out.  As the days progress, the Angelo and his friends (Club Loser) begin to realise that everyone seems to be behaving more unusually than normal, including Hallie's chicken.  With the arrival of the fair at Finches Green, things are hotting up ... but Club Loser also have to face mysterious people in creepy clown masks - who are they?  What is going on with the app?  And can Club Loser get to the bottom of things before it's too late?

I love Jennifer's books and she rightly deserves her crown as the queen of MG horror so I was very excited to have a NetGalley copy of Fear Ground to enjoy (I also had my teddy to keep me company and began reading the book in day light - yes, I am a coward!). From the very beginning when the game is explained, the book is chilling and it doesn't let up with a round of the game being played in chapter one.  I have to say that I would be terrible at playing Flinch, as I couldn't even remain calm whilst reading the book (I jumped at both the door bell and my mobile in the first 30 minutes of reading the book).  However, in amongst the nail biting bits, there are funny moments that made me chuckle and I particularly enjoyed Mr Canton's character and his cringeable attempts to be cool - he may just be my favourite character and, despite his failed attempts to be 'down with the kids', his heart is always in the right place and he really looks out for Club Loser.  

It was lovely to be back with Angelo, Hallie, Gus and Naria, and also to get to know Colette more.  Jennifer is brilliant at creating believable characters with dialogue that feels very real.  

Jennifer really has done it again with Fear Ground and readers will delight in both the scare and the humour which are perfectly balanced.  This book will make you cringe, it will make you squirm and it will most definitely make you flinch.  You have been warned!

Fear Ground is due for release on the 1st September.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...