Firesong A Brightstorm Adventure - Vashti Hardy

 


The final instalment in the Brightstorm trilogy sees Arthur and Maudie decide where they are heading off to next with Harriet and the rest of the crew of the Aurora.  Following information about their parents, they decide to head to the Volcanic North in search of the Brightstorm moth which is the explorer tattoo both Arthur and Maudie are proud to have.  However, as they start their adventure, they begin to hear a song in their heads that is familiar to them.  How can they both hear it and what does it mean?

I'm deliberately keeping my synopsis short as I don't want to ruin anything for anyone; however, it's safe to say that this was a gripping finale to the trilogy and one that you won't want to miss.

I've been a fan of the Brightstorm books from the very beginning and it has been a pleasure to have watched the twins grow into the young adults they are in Firesong. Although they are twins, they are very much their own people: Maudie is fierce and independent with a deep love of engineering and we see that from book one when we discover that she had created Arthur's prosthetic arm - we see her love of engineering grow further in this book.  Arthur's love of exploring continues to shine and he spends a lot of time pouring over maps and planning expeditions - exploring is in his blood after all.  Together, they make a determined and courageous pair, and it's been a privilege to have been able to share their journey with them.      

I have to also mention the other members of the Aurora crew, in particular Harriet who is a warm and caring captain of the Aurora (I still love the fact that the ship is part of her home and launches from the roof - I would love to have been in Lontown to see that in person), and also Harriet with her lucky spoon - she's warm and caring, and somebody I would love to have onboard any sky ship I travel on.  Firesong shows us that family comes in all shapes and sizes and the Aurora crew have definitely become family to the Brightstorm twins over they years.

Throughout the series, the attention to detail has been wonderful to read, and this is no different in Firesong: the lands, the sky ship and the animals are immersive and help the reader to imagine they are travelling alongside the twins.  

The Brightstorm trilogy has been a truly wonderful set and I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring new worlds on board the Aurora.   Firesong is a thrilling and fitting final instalment, full of twists that meant I absolutely could not put it down.  I smiled, I cried and I hugged the book at the end; you really will experience every emotion!  I am really going to miss Arthur, Maudie and the rest of the crew but I'm sure it won't be long until I head back into the books again to reread their adventures.  

I am hugely grateful for Harriet Dunlea at Scholastic for sending me an early copy - I know that this book is going to be in demand next term! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...