While The Storm Rages - Phil Earle

 


It's September 1939 in London and Noah's dad has just gone off to war, leaving him with the promise to look after his dog, Winn.  But then the government declares that all pets should be put to sleep and everybody rushes to their local vet's to abide by the rule.  With queues snaking around the block, Noah decides that he just can't do and, along with his friend Clem, they leave the queue and run.  Bir Col, the school bully sees them and decides to tag along, brining his pet python Delilah.  Together they flee to Noah's father's boat, the Queen Maudie, in search of Duchess Douglas-Hamilton who they have heard has dedicated her life to keeping animals safe.  Believing she must live around Windsor, they head off on the boat along the Thames, picking-up animals on the way.  But things aren't easy, and taking care of an increasing number of animals, as well as themselves proves trickier that they thought it would. 

I read When The Sky Falls last February and immediately fell in love with the book as well as Phil's writing.  It's been a huge hit at school, with children regularly coming to discuss it with me.  So I've been waiting patiently for Phil's next book (well, not so patiently if I'm honest!) and the arrival of While The Storm Rages sparked squeals of delight (both with me at home, as well as with the children at school!). I am hugely grateful to Phil for not only sending me a proof-copy but also for singing it for me (that got me some serious kudos at school, I can tell you!).  



While The Storm Rages, of course, jumped immediately to the top of my reading pile and, having been warned, I went in armed with plenty of tissues!


I have a weakness for books set during WWII but I really liked the fact that this has a different take to it.  Having read the first chapter, I found myself looking up whether the order to have all pets put to sleep at the start of WWII was true - it's not that I doubted you, Phil, but I just couldn't believe that this would be an order given to the country.  It took me a few minutes to discover it was true (cue the first of the tears!).  As a child, we always had a dog and I cannot begin to imagine how difficult doing something like that would be.  I can completely understand Noah's decision to run; not only is he desperate to save Winn, he also has the added burden of making sure he keeps his promise to his father - that's a lot of pressure when his dad is at war.  As the book progresses, it is the story of the animals and the children that takes centre stage and the fact that WWII has started becomes a secondary story (although clearly is important to the plot).  

Noah is a rather wonderful character: clumsy and impulsive, he is full of heart and always means well.  His courage grows as the book progresses and seems to creep up on him unawares.  He fears Big Col, especially at the beginning of the book but has no choice but to work with him once he muscles his way onto the mission.  Big and brutish, he believes threats and anger are the way to go, but his love for Delilah is evident from the start.  It's Clem who seems to keep the group together: she's sensible and intelligent; she likes to plan everything and her map-reading skills are invaluable. Together, they make a great team and I love the variety in their characters.  I have to also mention the animals who are clearly central to the plot.  As the group grows, we get to know more and more of their characters: from Samson with his straw hat to the kittens, each of the animals has their own personality which makes you love them (yes, including Delilah - and I never thought I would say that about a snake!). 

While The Storm Rages is as much a story about friendship and determination as it is about WWII and survival. Yes, there will be tears (at least there were for me!) but what I love about this book is that it reminds us that our pets are so much more than just pets: they are part of our family, our soul-mates and not something that can simply be put to sleep because there might not be enough food.  The constant companionship they bring is something that is important to children (and adults alike) and, as such, so many children will be able to completely relate to Noah, Clem and Big Col.  As with When The Sky Falls, Phil has put the animals at the heart of the book and highlighted how war affected them.   While The War Rages is a completely compelling and utterly heart-felt  book that already has a waiting list with my class at school (in fact, last week, I was constantly being asked if I'd finished it yet such is the demand!).  Due for release in June and guaranteed to be a hit and to become a classic, While The War Rages is a book that you are going to want to pre-order (perhaps with a pack of tissues too!).  No pressure, Phil, but I can't wait to see what you produce next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Developing Reading Comprehension Skills: Classic Poetry - Kate Heap

Poetry can be a tricky thing to understand and can be a can be a difficult to answer questions on so Kate's Developing Reading Comprehen...