Escape Room - Christopher Edge

 


As a reward for working so hard, Ami's dad books her into an evening at the ultimate Escape Room.  Once she meets her teammates, Adjoa, Oscar, Ibrahim and Min, they begin what they believe is a game.  However, after The Host tells them they've been chosen to save the world and they need to find the Answer, the puzzles and challenges the team face show them that this is so much more than a game.  Can they navigate their way through the levels to find the Answer before it's too late?



I am a huge fan of all of Christopher's books and still talk in particular about the effects The Longest Night of Charlie Noon had on my class when I read it to them back in April 2019 (they were so gripped on a daily basis that they often refused to go home in the hope I would read them more of the book!).  I love the mix of science and adventure that Christopher seems to be able to seamlessly weave into his plots, as well as the strength of the main characters.  So, it was with huge excitement that I opened up my Escape Room box when it arrived (no joke, I whooped with joy and punched the air when it landed on the mat!).  

I began the book almost immediately and was gripped from the start and began to devour the book - it really is unputdownable (unfortunately covid floored my towards the end of the book and stopped me reading for several days - I think only the lure of a book as exciting as Escape Room would have tempted me back to reading so quickly).  

Ami is a strong, self-assured and determined character who will stop at nothing to power-on through the rooms in order to beat the game.  She truly is unstoppable and her resilience is to be admired.  

The setting, and the various rooms through which the team must travel are vivid and exciting, not to mention often rather scary!  From dusty libraries to a deserted shopping centre with extinct animals, this is a truly imaginative experience and you will undoubtedly find yourself feeling like you are alongside Ami and the team in amongst the action.


With twists and turns that will leave you audibly gasping at times (I truly did not see the end coming!), this is a thrilling adventure that will compel you to keep reading.  With powerful messages in so many ways (I don't want to spoil anything so will say no more!), this is a clever and thought-provoking book that will stay with you long after you've read the final page.  

I cannot wait to take this book into school to see what the children think of it.  I have a trolley in my office where my proof copies go but I don't think Escape Room will reach there as I know so many children will be desperate to get their hands on it!

Due for release on the 3rd February, this is a book you will want to pre-order! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...