Ten Delicious Teachers - Ross Montgomery & Sarah Warburton


I'm a big fan of Ross' MG books so the opportunity to review one of his books for younger readers (as well as being the first stop on the tour this week) was an exciting prospect for me, especially one about teachers!


It's the end of the school day, however, the teachers seem to have missed their last bus home (I'm assuming they been working late as they were 'staggering through the playground with a weary, bleary moan...'!).  It's Mr Smith, in his infinite wisdom who decides to lead the team through a short cut he knows ... through the forest!  Now I know I'm no expert, but heading off through the forest at the beginning of a book is never going to end well!  And, true to form, the further through the forest they get, the more the teachers begin to disappear!  Will any of the teachers make it through the forest without succumbing to the monsters that are lurking?  

This is a delightful counting book (despite the idea of teachers disappearing!) with monsters of all shapes and colours to enthral and excite children, and I love the flow and rhyme of the writing and the links between each page.  It's brilliant to read aloud (I've read it more than once to my teenage son and can't wait to read it at school as well!) and I particularly love the ending - very teachery! (Is that a word?!)

As well as wonderful writing, the illustrations are a visual treat for everyone: bright and vivd monsters that children will love to spot and images that children will enjoy spending time exploring, even if they can't read the words yet.  I have to say that I have spent time just musing over the illustrations on each page, picking out the small details that have been included from the words on the mug at the picnic to the creatures and objects lurking in the cave).

As I read, I found myself wondering whether any of the teachers were named/illustrated in honour of anybody; and also wondered which of the teachers I would be (Miss McKenzie if anybody is wondering!  After all, she's wandering around reading a book instead of looking where she's going!).  I can imagine children in school trying to match teachers in the book to the ones they know in school!



With my teacher hat on, I can see this being a very popular book in Key Stage 1 as a counting book and a daily read aloud book; however, as a Key Stage 2 teacher, I can also see so many possibilities: children creating their own monsters; map work; design through a forest; even maths linked to bus timetables at the beginning of the book - the possibilities are endless!  I'm always looking out for books that I can use in assemblies and I can see this going down very well!  The thought of teachers disappearing I'm sure, will appeal greatly to some of the students in school.

Ten Delicious Teachers is a brilliant summer read or one for younger children as they head back to school in September and I'm looking forward to taking it into school at the start of next term!

Due for release on the 5th August, why not pop into some of the other blogs this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...