Adam-2 - Alastair Chisholm


Adam lives in a tiny room where he has a very set daily routine, one he is meticulous about keeping. It’s been years since he’s seen or spoken to anyone else (243 years, 8 months, 6 days, 9 hours & 51 minutes to be exact) but that’s ok as his father has said he’ll be back for him.  Then one day, the door is broken down by Linden and Runa, and that is when we discover the truth about Adam: he is a Funk (a robot).  Linden is wary but when Adam helps to save hir and Runa, they take him back to their camp. But will Adam be accepted in a world where humans and funks are at war? 


I remember receiving my proof copy of Orion Lost and devouring it with the realisation that there was a gap in the market for good middle grade sci-if, one that Alastair is doing a very good job at filling. I’ve been shouting about Orion Lost since then and it’s been a huge hit at school (not only with me recommending it but with children exclaiming its brilliance to others as well). So it was with huge excitement that I received my copy of Adam-2, deciding to save it until I could read it without interruption! I have to say that that was quite a test for me but I’m pleased I resisted as I genuinely couldn’t put it down!


Adam is the first character you meet and there is a distinct humanness about him. Although very precise and set in his daily routine, I warmed to him straight away. He’s curious and seems to care in that first chapter, and this continues right the way through the book. Yes, there’s a conflict there in what he’s been told to do by his father and what he believes he should do but that, I think, is undoubtedly one that readers will associate with. Throughout the book, he is determined to do what he believes is right in the world; he listens to everyone but is intent on finding a solution, a way forward that doesn’t involve death - his techniques are to be admired (although the ending … I won’t spoil it, but it took guts! Can Adam have guts?!)


There are a host of great characters in the book but I think, next to Adam, Linden was my favourite. Hir is most definitely conflicted and incredibly wary of Adam, and I very much enjoyed the way ze develops as a character as the story progresses (I’m saying no more than that as I don’t want to spoil anything!).


Finally, I want to say how much I enjoyed the whole thing being set in Edinburgh, all be it a futuristic, rather destroyed Edinburgh (hats off to Dan Mumford for the stunning cover). Having spent much of my childhood there visiting grandparents, it was great to be able to visualise where events were taking place, although I have to say it broke my heart to think of such a beautiful city ending up like that!) and huge apologies now to Alastair: not being a Train Spotting fan, I completely missed the subtle references but I hope others will notice them).


All in all, Adam-2 is another utterly brilliant sci-fi from Alastair: gripping and pacy with a plot that will capture the imagination but also make you think, coupled with strong messages about friendship, acceptance, appreciating differences and learning to live with change, this is a guaranteed hit and one I will most definitely be shouting about.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...