Easter Holiday Reading

 I know that, going back to school on Monday, there will be the inevitable questions about what I've been up to over the holiday, to which I will no doubt reply, 'Not much really.'

Having said that, I have read one or two books (14 to be exact!) so I thought I do a quick summary in the order in which I read them:


Boy, Everywhere - AM Dassu Technically, I started reading this before the end of term, but I finished it at the start of the holiday so it counts!  I'd been recommended this book by so many on Twitter but I don't think I was prepared for how much this book touched me.  The story of Sami and his family who flee from Damascus after his mum and sister are caught up in a bombing in a shopping centre, we follow their harrowing journey via Turkey to Manchester where the family endure more heart-ache and upheaval.  Told from Sami's point of view, this was a truly unforgettable story which had me in tears on several occasions as I travelled alongside the family and endured the challenges they had to face.  It's an eye-opening book that will help children to understand exactly what people go through as refugees.  It's a book that will stay with me for a long time to come and I'm very pleased I read it.

How I Saved The World In A Week - Polly Ho-Yen (released 8th July) https://kandobonkersaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2021/04/how-i-saved-world-in-week-polly-ho-yen.html

Buck 'N' Bronco - Guy Bass Mascots at the Happy Ranch Theme Park, Buck & Bronco suddenly find themselves jobless and homeless when the park is shut down so they head out into the real world to prove they still have what it takes.  Full of Guy Bass' humour and wrapped up in Barrington Stokes' Dyslexia friendly style, this is a book that will make you chuckle.

One August Night - Victoria Hislop One of 2 books I read over the holiday that weren't MG!  Having loved The Island when I read it years ago (I can highly recommend a trip to Spinalonga if you are ever on the island of Crete), it was a joy to head back to the island to catch-up with Maria and Anna in Plaka now that the colony has closed.  If you loved the first book, then I guarantee you will will in love with this.  For me, the joy of being able to wander back through the island in my mind, and imagine myself alongside the characters was almost as good as heading back there in person!

The House of Serendipity Sequins and Secrets - Lucy Ivison (released 6th July) https://kandobonkersaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2021/04/the-house-of-serendipity-sequins.html

Another Twist in the Tale - Catherine Bruton This is the unknown story of Twill Twist, twin sister to Oliver Twist. Separated at birth, we follow her through the streets of London and out into the world. Full of adventure through Victorian London, readers will be reacquainted (or indeed, introduced to) all the familiar characters from Oliver Twist, as well as getting to know a host of new ones (I particularly like the Artful Dodger's portrayal).  Twill is a marvellously, feisty character whom I adored and was rooting for with every turn of the page.  

Five Hundred Miles From You - Jenny Colgan The second of the non-MG books I read!  I always love losing myself in a Jenny Colgan book and this was no exception.  The story of a job exchange between nurse practitioner liaisons Lissa, in London, and Cormac, in Kirrinfief, on the edge of Loch Ness, Scotland, this is a wonderfully heart-warming, feel-good novel.  Reading Jenny's books always makes me want to head back up to Scotland where I spent much of my childhood and this book was no exception.  Jenny's descriptions of village life sounds idyllic and the perfect escape.

Mystery of the Night Watchers - AM Howell (Released 8th July) https://kandobonkersaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2021/04/mystery-of-night-watchers-m-howell.html

Skyborn - Sinead O'Hart  (Released 9th June)   https://kandobonkersaboutbooks.blogspot.com/2021/04/skyborn-sinead-ohart.html

This is Your Time - Ruby Bridges (Released 6th May) This is a short but incredibly powerful book (55 pages) which takes the form of a letter from Ruby who was, at the age of 6, the first black child to go to an all-white school in America. With pictures to accompany the letter from the 60s to the present day, they help to create a thought-provoking message about racial equality.  Aimed at 10 - 14 year olds, this is a book that should be read by teenagers and adults of all ages.

Show Us Who You Are - Elle McNicoll Oh, wow!  What a book this is!  Combining the story of Cora and Adrien, with Artificial Intelligence and the ethics around this, whilst championing Neurodiversity, this is a must-read book. The strength of Cora and Adrien's friendship is absolutely at the heart of this book and something I can imagine everybody would aspire to. Cora is one of the bravest characters I have read in while with a strength that seemed to seep from the book towards the end. This is a book that will blow you away and will reminds us all that we should never be ashamed of who we are and that our differences are what make us wonderful.

Bridge of Souls - Victoria Schwab The third book in the City of Ghosts series that follows Cass and her best friend Jacob, who just happens to be a ghost.  This book sees the pair in New Orleans with Cass' parents who have their own TV series about ghosts.  As with the previous two books, the ability to visualise the city they are in was part of the joy of the book (I even found myself Googling each of the places to find out more!).  This entire series are very readable, completely immersive and have just the right amount of spooky/ghostly goings on to keep readers spooked but not too scared to read on!  I love this series, and highly recommend them!  Perfect for those who love The haunting of Aveline Jones. 

Rumaysa - Radia Hafiza A lovely retelling of three fairy-tales (Rumaysa, Cinderayla and Sleeping Sara) with Rumaysa at the heart of them. She is the main character of the first tale (a retelling of Rapunzel) who then appears in the second and third tales. I liked the fact that it's Rumaysa's hijab that helps her to escape and the feminist twist on each of the tales.  Aimed at younger readers, this is a book that will be equally enjoyed by children of any age.  

The Weather Weaver - Tamsin Mori A wonderful story set on Shetland about a girl, her grandfather and her newly discovered ability to weave the weather.  You'll be spell-bound with the magic of this book and, if you are anything like me, will find yourself suddenly wanting your own cloud!  Nimbus absolutely steals the book, without saying a word!  I can't wait to see what they get up to next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The City Beyond The Stars - Zohra Nabi

Yara longs to return to the Kingodm of Zehaira and free her mother from the clutches of the alchemist.  But when her mother sends Yara a cry...