Beyond The Odyssey

Beyond The Odyssey - Maz Evans

The highly anticipated third book about Elliot Hooper and his life with the Greek gods sees our hero trying desperately to keep his family together.  

With his mother's health deteriorating and the school welfare team growing suspicious, it is up to Elliot to put things right.  Of course, he isn't on his own and his trusty family of immortals is always at his side.  He also has his father, David, who has reappeared having been in prison for ten years.  Josie-Mum; however, doesn't seem seem to trust Dave but Elliot puts this down to her worsening condition.

It quickly becomes evident to Elliot that the only way he can save the day is to go in search of a potion that will help his mum.  Of course, this entails a quest to find the third chaos stone and a trek through some pretty dangerous territory, and let's not forget that there are now Titans on the loose! Elliot is forced to confront some tricky situations; however, with the Gods by his side, he valiantly fights on.

Will he find the potion?  Will he be able to save his family and will Hermes ever wake up?

O's opinion:
I liked the way that Maz has put comedy and seriousness side by side in a way that creates the right balance and has the reader laughing and crying. I liked the determination in Elliot in the way that he's fighting Thanatos and trying to save his mum at the same time: he shouldn't even be doing one of those things at his age! This was an amazing third novel in the series and the books have been amazing to read. I can't wait for the last one!

K's opinion:
I think I experienced every emotion going whilst I read this book: I laughed (a lot), I cried, I was nervous, I was excited ... and it is rare that a book allows me to experience all those emotions in one sitting!  

We got hold of the book on Tuesday and O started reading it before
we even got home (I found him sat on the floor in John Lewis with his head buried in the book at one point!) and he finished it in a day.  There were several comments uttered (as well as a tear or two) so I was very keen to get started once I got hold of it!  Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.  The way Maz manages to combine the Greek mythology with a modern plot and humour is a marvel to me ... and she does it so well (little things like Vetflix, Dragons Dungeon and Don'tcAIR making the difference - and O says I MUST mention Mypu here!!!) as well as the fast-paced plot, combine to make compelling stories in unputdownable books.

I have to make mention of the idea of the afterlife in this book - it's so beautifully put in my opinion.  Also, huge applause is needed for Tiresias' character ('Just because a lot of people do something, doesn't make it right,' - I'll be using Tiresias in the classroom next term).

I'm in danger of waffling now, so I'll simply say that we loved this book and we'll be recommending it next term in school.  

A triumph Maz - here's to book 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...