Zella loves her job on the school's student radio, the only problem is her co-host is her ex, Dave, who happens to be a complete chauvinist. Killian, however, is entirely different and seems happy to help Zella get into the writing programme at school that his mum runs. But to do that effectively, they need to pretend they are dating; Killian has secretly been in love with Zella for quite some time so is happy to play along, but the longer they are 'together' the more it appears they enjoy each other's company, so when it comes time for them to split up, will they realise what everybody else can already see?
Heading back to Lake Pristine is like being wrapped in a favourite blanket: it fills you with warmth and familiarity and makes you want to sink into it and never leave. Yearning Difficulties is part of Elle's Lake Pristine series so it is lovely to bump into some familiar characters from the previous books as well as getting to know some new people (it is very easy to read this as a stand alone book but I would highly recommend reading Some Like It Cold and Wish you Were Her first).
So, once again, I find myself struggling to put into words how much I enjoyed this book (it's becoming a habit of mine after reading Elle's books!), so I've reverted back to listing everything I loved about it...
❤️the unrequited love - oh goodness, it's swoonable!
❤️Killian's way with words; especially when he's righting wrongs with Dave (oh how I envied his ability there!); I really wish I'd been at school with somebody like him
❤️that Zella's self discovery unfold as the plot does - I could relate to much of what she said, especially as I was always considered different at school
❤️the way Elle once again seamlessly weaves neurodiversity into the plot and allows readers to see themselves represented in books
❤️the fact that the characters feel very real and relatable (ok, so Dave is a snake but I'm sure many of us have come across a Dave in our time)
❤️the support Zella's parents give her, especially when they are called into school
❤️the crisp autumn vibe - I'm very much a summer girl but the book really made me want to carve a pumpkin
❤️the fact that I read the book in Carcassonne and it made me seriously consider heading to one of their jousting tournaments!
❤️the fact that the hopeless romantic in me was glad I had sunglasses on when I read the book (yes, I shed a tear!)
❤️ the fact that I genuinely got lost in the book in the most delicious way
❤️ Killian's desperate desire to do the right thing whilst trying to hide his true feelings
❤️I didn't want the book to end and didn't want to leave Lake Pristine behind once I'd finished the last page
I could carry on, but it's safe to say that Yearning Difficulties is a book that YA readers are going to adore when it publishes on the 8th October. It will make the perfect autumn read whilst the leaves are turning brown, the nights are drawing in and the blankets are calling...


No comments:
Post a Comment