The Shadows of Kensington Gore - Ross Montgomery




I've been anticipating The Shadows Of Kensington Gore since getting an early read of Murder At World's End last summer and, despite having itchy fingers, I waited until I knew I could devote time to it before wading in.  And so it was, that I headed to Kensington last week whilst lying on my sunbed at the same time as my husband was thoroughly engrossed in the first book!

Oh boy, people, are you in for a treat!

Miss Decima and Stephen have replaced the remote stately home with an apartment in Kensington and they are bumbling along together. Unlike the other servants in the building, Stephen has a room in the apartment instead of the basement so he can be at Miss Decima's beck and call.  They are desperate to get their teeth into another juicy case but, so far, have found nothing ... until a policeman is brutally murdered on the steps of their building with Stephen as the only witness.  With three young suffragettes as the main suspects,  Decima and Stephen get to work to discover exactly what happened before time runs out.

Decima hasn't changed one bit thank goodness! She's still the feisty, outspoken, potty mouthed aristocrat I came to know and love in Murder At World's End; she has a no nonsense attitude to everything and doesn't suffer people lightly - she is utterly brilliant!

Stephen is grateful for everything he now has but is feeling a little lonely and a bit left out of their detecting at times: is he her partner in detecting or her servant? He often feels the lines are blurred and I like that he grows a bit more bolshy in this book.  Together, they make the perfect pairing and the combination of his sense of justice and her intelligence is a force to be reckoned with.

The historical links to the suffragette movement add real interest to the mystery, and the plot keeps you guessing and smiling.  Ross' ability to maintain drama whilst making readers chuckle is clever and an absolute joy to read. 

Publishing on the 22nd October, The Shadows of Kensington Gore is a triumph of a sequel and I can't wait to see what the pair get up to next (by the way, Mr W is now trying desperately trying to nab my iPad so he can read this!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Yearning Difficulites - Elle McNicoll

Zella loves her job on the school's student radio, the only problem is her co-host is her ex, Dave, who happens to be a complete chauvin...