Villains Academy: How To Win The Gruesome Games - Ryan Hammond


Bram and his friends are back and this time the five founders of Villains Academy are rising from their graves to oversee the Gruesome Games, a series of three events which test the talents of first-years and give them the chance to show their pranking talents. With the winners getting to add their names to the Book of Bad, it's a day that could change the lives of the winning team, especially as their families are there to watch proceedings. 

It's always a joy to return to Villains Academy as this is a series I have loved since reading the first book on my way home from the Simon and Schuster brunch last year where I heard Ryan talk (You can read my reviews here: Villains Academy ; How To Steal A Dragon), so I was absolutely thrilled when How To Win The Gruesome Games arrived on Friday.  Needless to say, it completely skipped the tbr pile and I began reading it immediately.  

The plot is full of laughs, pranks and antics that will have readers giggling and cheering as the games unfold.  And the addition of families in this book (they arrive to watch the games) helps readers to gain more insight into the members of The Cereal Killers which I loved.  This time, I felt it was Tony I got to know more about but I still have a soft-spot for Bram and his insecurities; he constantly battles with his desire to fit in.  And, of course, Mardybum will forever be my favourite teacher!

With friendship at the heart of this series, I love the way Ryan weaves messages into the humour and the antics, and does so so subtly that they are almost subliminal: sticking together, helping each other out and working together as a team all feature but it's Ryan's messages about being an individual and not being afraid to be who you are that really stood out to me (page 193 in particular made my heart sing and I am proud to say I'm a loser!)

I also want to mention how much joy I get from Ryan's illustrations which are just stunning and add so much to the book.  Some of his full page illustrations could easily become prints in their own right ... now there's an idea, Ryan!  


Villains Academy: How To Win The Gruesome Games publishes on the 25th April and is a badass book that needs to be bought and enjoyed.  I was thrilled and honoured to find my name in the acknowledgements; it's always a pleasure to shout about this wonderful series and I'm already excited to find out what's instore next for Bram and the rest of the Cereal Killers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Be Free - Daisy May Johnson

  It's the start of a new term at the School of the Good Sisters and Hannah, Edie and Calla are ready to enjoy everything their extraord...