Mirabelle is one of the monsters who are part of 'the family' who live at Rookhaven Manor which has, for years, been separated from the rest of the world by glamour. However, a fault in this results in orphans Jem and Tom stumbling across the house. Tom is unwell which forces the pair to stay for a week and, during this time, Mirabelle and Jem become friends. However, there is danger lurking that threatens everybody in the manor, meaning the the monsters and humans need to help each other in order to survive.
I had heard so many good things about this book so I was thrilled when I unwrapped a copy on Christmas Day and I most certainly wasn't disappointed. It's a deliciously dark and sinister book that hints from the very beginning of secrets that are waiting to be revealed as the story unfolds. The wonderful range of unusual characters only adds to the atmosphere and I found their different characteristics interesting - I particularly liked the chapters written from Piglet's point of view, although they were rather chilling and, in many respects, towards the end, thought provoking.
This is a beautiful book both in its gothic writing but also in the illustrations by Edward Bettison which most certainly add to the atmosphere. I shall miss 'the family' now I've finished the book but am pleased I got to visit Rookhaven, just for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment