A Day of Graphic Novels

I've said for a while that I need to expand my repertoire of graphic novels and I have begun to do just that.  Below are three wonderful books that I read over the weekend.


Stitch Head The Graphic Novel - Guy Bass & Pete Williamson


Stitch Head is a book I have loved since it was published and I have fond memories of Guy Bass visiting school many years ago, along with Stitch Head.  The graphic novel takes the book to another level and perfectly enhances the story with stunning illustrations.  The book is truly a feast for the senses and one that I spent ages pouring over.  It was wonderful to be reunited with Stitch Head in Grotteskew Castle and I know that this book will open up the world of Grubbers Nubbin to a host of new readers.  This is definitely
 a book that I will return to again and again. 

Stitch Head The Graphic novel publishes on the 1st February.



Pablo and Splash - Sheena Dempsey

Whilst Pablo loves their polar home, Splash longs to escape somewhere warm and decides they need a holiday.  What ensues is an encounter with Professor O'Brain, TimeBender the time-travelling machine and a host of dinosaurs.

This is a delightful book about two unlikely penguins and their funny journey to escape the cold.  As someone who constantly craves the warmth, I could fully empathise with Splash and his need for heat and sunshine!  The glossy pages are full of colour and life and the funny story will appeal to many, but especially those who may find tackling a novel daunting.  

Available now, Pablo And Splash is a book that will be a huge hit in school when I take it in on Monday.




Cross My Heart And Never Lie - Nora Dåsnes (Translated by Matt Bagguley)


As Tuva starts seventh grade, life seems to become more difficult and those around her have fallen into two distinct groups: those who fall in love and those who don't.  And to make matters worse, Tuva's best friends want her to choose which group she will be in, for one is in each group.  Tuva is torn.  Then things change again when Mariam, the new girl arrives in school.

This is a beautiful and inclusive story of growing up, navigating friendships and discovering who you are.  With a modern feel and colourful illustrations, the graphic novel incorporates a diary feel and explores emotions and feelings in a way that will leave you feeling warm and like you've been given a hug.  

Publishing on the 15th February, Cross My Heart And Never Lie is a beautiful coming-of-age book that will warm readers' hearts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...