Sabotage on the Solar Express - MG Leonard & Sam Sedgeman

 


Hal and his uncle Nat are back in Sabotage on the Solar Express and I was absolutely thrilled when my NetGalley approval came through, allowing me to read an early copy.  The Adventures on Trains series is one of those that I always get excited about and never have to read the blurb to know that I'm going to enjoy it, and I wasn't wrong: I devoured the book in less than 24 hours!

Sabotage on the Solar Express is set in Australia as Hal and Nat have been invited to be part of the launch of the Solar Express, the train that won a global competition to build a futuristic train run by tech entrepreneur and millionaire August Reza.  We first met August and his daughter, Marianne on The California Comet and Hal isn't thrilled to see her again, as they didn't leave things on the best terms when they parted ways in America.  However, Marianne is convinced that something feels wrong about the trip and this is backed-up when an elaborate and expensive model of the Rocket is delivered to August but nobody seems to know who it is from.  Marianne is determined and eventually  convinces Hal to help her discover exactly what is happening.  The day of the maiden voyage dawns and everybody is excited and raring to go.  After the press conference, the guests, including Boaz (the teenage designer of the train), the Rezas, and Hal and Nat, board the Express but the journey is barely under way when they discover that the train has been sabotaged!  Suddenly, Hal and Marianne have to discover who has done this as well as try to stop the train before disaster strikes.  Can they do it or is everybody on board in jeopardy?

Part of what I love about this series is the setting: both the different countries visited as well as the trains.  I love to read the descriptions of the landscapes but am especially enamoured by the images created of the trains (and Elisa Paginelli's illustrations only help to enhance this).  The book makes me want to take a journey on a similar train; to enjoy long lunches with unmissable views of wonderful landscapes and to wake-up in a completely different place - the dangerous situations Hal and Nat find themselves I would be happy not to encounter but they definitely make the books incredibly exciting!  On a cold, dull January day, it was wonderful to be able to imagine I was zooming through Australia, with the sun beating in through the windows!

Hal and Nat make a perfect duo and I love the relationship that has built between them; there is a mutual respect between them that is based on trust and the fact that Hal is a child isn't an issue.  In Sabotage on the Solar Express, I feel that Hal takes more of a lead than Nat and I like the slight change here.  Hal's notebook and illustrations remain key in his ability to discover what is going on and tie in the book's illustrations perfectly.  

I have to say that I think Sabotage on the Solar Express has to be the most gripping of the series so far and I found it impossible to put the book down (I was going to go for a run this afternoon but was far too gripped on the plot to even contemplate getting changed, let alone leave the house!).  The plot moves quickly, especially once they board the train and I still hadn't guessed who the saboteur was when Hal came to make his announcement!  I don't want to give anything away so I won't say anything more but ... wow!  Hold onto your seat with this book as you are in for one heck of a journey!

Sabotage on the Solar Express pulls into book stores on the 17th February so why not pre-order your copy so you can jump on board as soon as it is released?  I promise, it's a journey you won't forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Magicalia Race of Wonders - Jennifer Bell

Join best friends Bitsy and Kosh on a round-the-world adventure like no other! When Bitsy's dad is kidnapped by a woman with a giant ham...